Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Activist

I probably shouldn't did this but a few days ago a guy that took my 55 gal off my hand is starting up a saltwater store an gave me some substrate and he was telling me all about saltwater and told me that I could add a clown fish 1-2 day after so I went ahead and he gave me one for about 10 bucks and he's been in my tank about a week and doing really great eating a tone but I do t plan on gettin anymore tell I get a skimmer for sump

Old 08-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #92
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

he may or may not make it since tank isn't cycled
he's going to be very stressed with that wild ride he's in for with all the different cycling changes

Old 08-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is very true. People have gotten away from using damsels to cycle as it stresses them and can kill them. First your ammonia levels go up and ammonia is toxic. Then the bacteria present breaks it down to nitrite. Nitrite can be just as toxic as ammonia and it can also kill him. Finally it's converted to nitrates. If he starts breathing fast and lays on the bottom, it means he's really
Struggling so watch him closely.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Activist

He seems to be doing pretty good like the first day he was at the top corner and I didnt know if he was gonna make it but not he's all over the tank and eating pretty good
Old 08-27-2012, 02:05 AM   #95
Aquarium Advice Activist

How long does it take for the tank to usually cycle
Old 08-27-2012, 02:46 AM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

My 55g took 3 weeks, and thats pretty typical, no matter what the size of the tank. You're gonna need to do a lot of partial water changes if you want the clown to live through it. The fish would be better off if your friend could house him one of his tanks for a couple weeks til your tank's ready.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #97
Aquarium Advice Activist

Alright yeah I'll go ahead and take him back tomorrow I thought when you guys meant cycle like let the water mix I didn't know it went threw toxic stages of developing
Old 08-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im glad you're taking him back to the store. (but only temporarily!!) Thats best, IMO. You can be reunited with him after your tank cycles.
Yeah, the cycle is brutal for a fish to live through. The ammomia burns their gills and scales, and that can get infected, which can kill the fish. Then the ammonia gets turned into nitrite, which decreases the amount of oxygen they get and they will gasp for air at top of tank or lay on bottom gasping. They can suffocate and die from that. Then finally the nitrite is converted to nitrate, which if you keep below 40, won't kill the fish. (although below 20 is much better, cuz high nitrates will encourage algae growth) when ammonia and nitrites are 0 and you have nitrates, your tank is cycled. Then you do a partial water change and add your pretty little clown!! this will take about 3-4 weeks. The waiting sux, but then you get your funny clown friend!! And he will be with you for years to come.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:49 AM   #99
Aquarium Advice Activist

When should the ammonia spike start he's been in there for a about a week I hope he didn't go threw all that suffering?
Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 AM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

The ammonia started to accumulate, unfortunately, as soon as he was put in because he will urinate and poo and there isn't enough beneficial bacteria yet to consume the ammonia. If its been a week, there's probably a good amount of ammonia in there now. He's probably somewhat uncomfortable cuz ammonia burns. There are old school types who think that cycling with a fish in there is fine, and they use "hardy" and "starter" fish for that. The hardy ones might make it, the starter ones are cheap to replace after they die. The fish don't usually make it, sometimes they do.
The newer school of thought is to spare the fish that treatment and use an ammonia source, like a dead raw shrimp tied in a bag or knee-high pantyhose as ammonia source. You can also use fish food flakes, they'll break down and become ammonia. There's also janitorial grade liquid ammonia that can be added to tank, but gotta make sure if you shake the bottle, there's no bubbles in bottle. If there are, there's surfactants in it and can't use it in aquarium. Raw shrimp is common, just let it rot In there, but it'll stink. just know that you'll have to add some kind of ammonia source everyday. That's why raw shrimp is easy, just toss it in and leave it, no daily dosing. But make sure you put it in knee high panty hose, tied off so that when you want to remove it, u don't have to fish out bunch of little prices of rotten shrimp.
I would just get him to your friends tank ASAP in the AM. Good luck!!

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com