Can someone help me with starting a saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not right now might come toward christmas time im using my 10 gal to mix the water I checked it a little bit it's a little bit high an in other places it's lower so I'll give it a little bit how long do I need to wait to stock it and how long can saltwater fish be in bags cause I live in Alaska and my nearest saltwater aquatic store is 2 1/2 hour away?

You will need to either use fish or get a piece of shrimp (fishless cycle) and put it in there. If its a little high just add some fresh dechlorinated water to it.

The salt can sit for quite a long time just wrap it up so it's not open. Your tank could take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to cycle normally. Just don't change the water and leave the decaying shrimp in there until its no more. That's what the bacteria eats and thrives on (as nasty as it sounds).

Not yet and is it a lot harder to keep live rock then just a fish only tank and does it grow or something

Live rock is super easy but it needs to be cured live rock if your tank has cycled. You will need to get a test kit to know whether or not the tank has finished the cycle. Tomorrow I will see if I can find a good link that will explain some of this stuff better than I do! :)

With saltwater (I cannot begin to speak intelligently regarding freshwater fish as my experience is limited to my sons beta), they are extremely sensitive to water pentameters for the most part. When you read about a saltwater fish and it says that it is "easy" to maintain, that means that it can handle a little less than perfect water however most need a good stable environment. I did read the threads posted however I can't judge simply because I've killed ever goldfish I've ever owned.

There are a few things you have to know about saltwater tanks. First off, smaller tank DOES NOT mean easier but difficult! The smaller the tank the more cleaning and maintenance you will have even with a great filtration system. The next expectation should be cost in my opinion. Once you've decided to take on the challenge of salt, you need to know that there are things you cannot live without if you want to be successful. IMO, you will need a test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrites,nitrates, phosphates, Ph. That's for fish only with some live rock. In a smaller tank, using reverse osmosis water is imperative because of the ability of waste to quickly build up. Dilution is the solution...more space and water equals less toxicity over a period of time. That's one reason in saltwater everyone says to go as big as you can afford. Using tap water or well water generally contains phosphates to start with and that's a major cause of algae issues. Since you are going with a fish only tank, and since it's small you wouldn't need a canister on something like that. I'm unfamiliar with what it came with as I've always bought my tank and all the things for it separately. I'm guessing it may need to be upgraded. You should always use a system that can handle more than you have. You should only plan on two small fish in the aquarium MAX. I know that freshwater lets you put 1 fish per gallon however saltwater is much more dense. Adding lots of fish will equal killing lots of fish. Since you live in Alaska, make sure you have a heater. You should have a power head I would think. I've had a little 20 gallon tank and it was fine however you can't put off water changes etc. Keep meds on hand for ich and common diseases or parasites that your specific fish are most susceptible to. At one point you will need them sooner or later. Never dose the tank, put them in another tank or container to do this. Once you dose your tank with copper you pretty much will kill any snails or crabs and it's now contaminated so it's likely any replacements will die. You need to research what fish you want, size they will reach, foods they eat, and any special needs they might have prior to buying them. If a fish has a 50 gallon requirement that's the minimum amount of space it will need as an adult to live in without stress.

I have a list of stuff and this is already long. I don't want to question your commitment. I am only wanting to inform you so that you have the right expectations. Having saltwater fish is fun but challenging! :D

I know that freshwater lets you put 1 fish per gallon however saltwater is much more dense.

It all depends on the fish and it's needs, just like saltwater. The one fish per gallon or one inch of fish per gallon of tank is a very common misconception that leads to overcrowding and other issues.

Though I do get the gist of what you are putting across in advice. :)

Just added salt

Attachments

• image-173834350.jpg
    image-173834350.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 128
Very cool! So thinking about it, if you really want to do this right I would probably invest in a good filtration system and a protein skimmer. An RO system will help a lot as using tap water usually causes phosphate issues and that can lead to algae. I bought one for very cheap but it works well and it's portable so I didn't have to hook it to my sink underneath! I actually use it on my water hose and bought the connector. Check out www.purewaterclub.com they aren't the "best" but they do the job and are affordable!

And I've been researching a few guys i only got a few in mind like the flame angle and bio color angle and maybe a clown fish or two I'm no sure if that would be over stocking it or not do you har any personal opinions on these fish?

I would start off with two clowns as you should always add your most aggressive last. Angels should be limited to one per tank unless your tank is large because they do not get along. I will be very honest with you and tell you that they are not considered the most hardy of fish and most beginners that I've known personally have bought them and had them die within 30 days or less. They also like to have a lot of room to swim and live rock. In a tighter space the tendency is to be stressed. The next popular fish all my friends have wanted in their tanks are tangs. Some are more hardy than others however they can grow large and need the swimming space so its the same issue as with an angel. You of course are free to choose however I would not advise it. If you want more than three fish, I would stick to smaller hardy fish. There are so many cool fish and different colors.

Just DON'T get damsels! Clowns are fine but the rest are wicked little beasts concealed by pretty shades of blue or stripes, etc. They are mean.

Typically they are. Get one bigger than the other so they are less likely to fight over which gets to be the female. Have no more than two as the mated pair will kill the other one. The chromis are cool! I've never had one personally but I think they might be a little territorial (make sure you check) so if that's the case add him last to give your other fish time to establish themselves and get settled. Making a list is smart of you so you know who to add first and who last! Add one fish at a time. The clowns you can add together just make sure to check ammonia levels so if they start to go up you can do a small water change. You may look and see what each of them eat too.

Do you have a qt tank? You could get a little one or a Rubbermaid tub and hook up a power head or a filter etc. If there is one thing I cannot stress to you enough this is it!!! Assume all fish you get have ich because lots do! I personally pretreat them with meds as directions say to. Once that's done, if all looks good, acclimate them to your tank slowly and add them! Once your tank gets ich, in order to get rid of it, you have to remove all the fish, treat them, and house them separately until the life cycle run through.
Please read!!!
www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

Back
Top Bottom