Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Very cool! So thinking about it, if you really want to do this right I would probably invest in a good filtration system and a protein skimmer. An RO system will help a lot as using tap water usually causes phosphate issues and that can lead to algae. I bought one for very cheap but it works well and it's portable so I didn't have to hook it to my sink underneath! I actually use it on my water hose and bought the connector. Check out www.purewaterclub.com they aren't the "best" but they do the job and are affordable!

Old 08-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do you have an idea on how much a protein skimmers gonna run

Old 08-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

And I've been researching a few guys i only got a few in mind like the flame angle and bio color angle and maybe a clown fish or two I'm no sure if that would be over stocking it or not do you har any personal opinions on these fish?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would start off with two clowns as you should always add your most aggressive last. Angels should be limited to one per tank unless your tank is large because they do not get along. I will be very honest with you and tell you that they are not considered the most hardy of fish and most beginners that I've known personally have bought them and had them die within 30 days or less. They also like to have a lot of room to swim and live rock. In a tighter space the tendency is to be stressed. The next popular fish all my friends have wanted in their tanks are tangs. Some are more hardy than others however they can grow large and need the swimming space so its the same issue as with an angel. You of course are free to choose however I would not advise it. If you want more than three fish, I would stick to smaller hardy fish. There are so many cool fish and different colors.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just DON'T get damsels! Clowns are fine but the rest are wicked little beasts concealed by pretty shades of blue or stripes, etc. They are mean.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

Alright that sounds good are clowns pretty hardy then?
Old 08-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

Whats your opinion on your bio color dotty backs
Old 08-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Typically they are. Get one bigger than the other so they are less likely to fight over which gets to be the female. Have no more than two as the mated pair will kill the other one. The chromis are cool! I've never had one personally but I think they might be a little territorial (make sure you check) so if that's the case add him last to give your other fish time to establish themselves and get settled. Making a list is smart of you so you know who to add first and who last! Add one fish at a time. The clowns you can add together just make sure to check ammonia levels so if they start to go up you can do a small water change. You may look and see what each of them eat too.

Do you have a qt tank? You could get a little one or a Rubbermaid tub and hook up a power head or a filter etc. If there is one thing I cannot stress to you enough this is it!!! Assume all fish you get have ich because lots do! I personally pretreat them with meds as directions say to. Once that's done, if all looks good, acclimate them to your tank slowly and add them! Once your tank gets ich, in order to get rid of it, you have to remove all the fish, treat them, and house them separately until the life cycle run through.
Please read!!!
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...ths-facts.html
Old 08-22-2012, 02:33 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry I'm asking so many questions but what is dry rock
Old 08-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

Any yeah I have a tank I can treat them in

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com