Can someone tell me if this will work???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sicklidkid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok right now i have a 55 gallon FOWLR but am gonna put some easy corals in in a couple months. I would like to know if this would work in terms of fish,

1 pink skunk clown
1ocellaris clow
1 yellow tang
1 gold stripe maroon (or a pair)

Thanks, any suggestions would be appreciated!!

maroon clowns are usually more aggressive. So if you are thinking of adding a pair of them i would stay away from the ocellaris or vise versa. other than that you should be fine.

Yeah i think ill add only one. Currently i have the skunk and ocellaris and they seem to be getting along great. I am getting some more rock so i wanted to make sure everything would work before i added more rock in case i had to catch one of them. Thanks!!!

you could even try to get a mate for your ocellaris. that would be cool and just omit the maroon out of the picture.

I would really like to have a maroon. wouldnt it be tough to get him a mate now? How would i go about it? Could i not have the pink skunk and have the maroon if i try to get a mate for my ocellaris?

you might be ok getting a maroon since you are adding it after you have the other clowns. But like i said they tend to be more agresive then other clowns. Maybe someone else can jump in here and help me out.

I think the plan is going to end in trouble. Depending on size, the ocellaris will not care for the present but as it gets larger, it will become less accepting. The pink skunk is actually quite tollerant and if this was a much larger tank the two might actually co-exist long term .

The maroon on the otherhand is quite a bully and could easily kill both clowns. They do not like to share territories and in a 55 gal, I think you should reconsider.

Cheers
Steve

I would choose only one species and preferabley a mated pair. In a 55 gal there simpley isn't enough space for two species of clown to co-habitate long term.

I would also urge caution on the choice of the yellow tang. Unless you have the intention of upgrading the tank size within the next year or so, the tang will outgrow the tank. For an FO you still have plenty of other choices for equally colorful and personable fish, I would just suggest choosing ones with a smaller adult size.

Cheers
Steve

Not long term. The minimum tank size is 4ft/75 gal for it to have a better chance. The more room, the more likely the tang will be with you along time to come :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Hmmmmm.. Looks like i will need to make some big changes. So i can tkeep the maroon with any other clown i have? Are maroons destructive?KNock of corals? Also another quick question, would the ocellaris be ok in an eclipse 12 fowlr? Mabey I can keep him in another tank. If at all possible i would like to keep him.

sicklidkid said:
So i can tkeep the maroon with any other clown i have? Are maroons destructive?KNock of corals?
Maroons should only be kept by themselves or as a mated pair. I would never recommend keeping them with other species of clowns. They are not intentionally destructive to corals but there is always the chance they could host in a more sensitive LPS that may damage it. That is true of any clown though :wink:

Also another quick question, would the ocellaris be ok in an eclipse 12 fowlr? Mabey I can keep him in another tank. If at all possible i would like to keep him.
The ocellaris would be fine in a 12 gal tank.

Cheers
Steve

Maybe you could get a toadstool leather too if your lighting is good enough, then the clowns could rub around on it and make it their home. Toadstool leathers are easy to keep, if you are going to get corals anyway you might want to consider one. :)

Well ill try to convince my parents to let me change our 12 gallon planted freshwater tank to a 12 gallon nano for my ocellaris. I will try to get rid of all the other fish in the 55 and get a pair of maroons. I will also look into a toadstool leather. Will it be ok under 220watts of PC? Also is it easy to find maroon pairs or do i have to try and make one myself.
THANKS

sicklidkid said:
I will also look into a toadstool leather. Will it be ok under 220watts of PC?
A wide variety of soft and LPS corals would do well under that lighting as long as the water parameters are maintained properly.

Also is it easy to find maroon pairs or do i have to try and make one myself.
THANKS
Not normally. Most times I have seen them they are by themselves or too large to try and pair. Might try asking your LFS or favoirite on-line shop if they can special order them. If you can, I would definately try to get something from >>ORA Farms<<. They mght not be mated when you get them but should be small enough to "grow into it". That and the fact they are tank raised, will greatly improve the succes rate.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom