Can you recommend a good protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellowyellow

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently cycling a 30 gal. saltwater tank with a hooded top. I have two questions: 1. Do I need more water movement and/or an air stone because the top is closed and 2. Can you recommend a good protein skimmer, one that really works, for a 30 gal. tank.

no air stone, it'll just put salt deposits everywhere
do you have any powerheads
V2,octopus.theirs quite a few just research

Is this just a glass hood. You might want to consider going with out one. Trap heat in the tank and promotes low PH due to poor gas exchange at the surface.

Thanks for your reply. The top of my tank is black plastic and the light is also in black plastic. I can open the front that runs the length of the tank and I've been doing that during the day. I close it at night because we do have a cat.

Thanks for your help. My tank cover is two parts both black. I do have a filter that came with the tank and does seem to push the water some. I can open the front of the lid that stretches the length of the tank and I've been doing so during the day.

I had a JBJ nano cube that had a similar light/hood. Before I knew what a PH was (silly) I just took an underwater filter, took all the goodies out and use that as water movement. Worked pretty good for me and cheaper than a PH.

i have a bak pak protein skimmer but air line is very loud...is there aynthing i can use to silence it..if i close it completely is silent i dont get as much micro bubbles. what can i do?

i have a bak pak protein skimmer but air line is very loud...is there aynthing i can use to silence it..if i close it completely is silent i dont get as much micro bubbles. what can i do?

I have this skimmer and you're right it's very loud. What I did was push the collection cup all the way down to where it touches the intake. Then I adjusted the muffler to where the sucking noise is pretty tolerable. I know the more air the better, but they skimmer is in my man cave and can't take the noise. Even with lesser air, I still get a full cup every week and its a pea (the vegetable) color. ]

Hope this helps !!

i cant adjust the amount of air...mine just has like a cap on it but there is no adjustment...i have also noticed its not skimming anything anymore and i have less micro bubbles...is there a way to keep bubbles from exiting the return back into the tank so that i dont have bubbles returning back into my tank

bavass
Thanks for the tip. I'm still contemplating the addition of a skimmer. my tank is only 30 gal. Right now it's holding and I'm looking to the end of next week to add a couple of fish. My foxface is quite happy now having the aquarium to itself. Wonder if foxface will welcome new friends or not. I think foxface will like some companionship.

Back
Top Bottom