Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It didn't though my Ph. still is between 7.6 to 7.8. I also took a sample to my lfs they got the same reading. I did a pwc and added more backing soda still nothing. I went out and bought a new test. Still same readings. Talked to people who own a pool they said use soda ash, baking soda just raises alkalinity. When I did a test for it it is over 500 ppm. Ph still 7.7

Old 03-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones1483 View Post
How does an ro/di system work? Maybe I will look into one
well the water in your house goes through a series of filters depending on the size could be 4,5, or 6 filters and it removes 97 to 98 percent of contaminants from the water so it is almost pure

Old 03-29-2012, 02:22 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have just started my tank too. I am using tap water. I have had my tap tested multiple times and I spoke to the municipality. I have no phosphates, nitrates, chloramines or metals. The water I get from my tap is fantastic. I still have to make sure all of the chlorine is gone before I use it though. So, I pour my water into buckets a couple days in advance and the chlorine burns off naturally. I do this because I absolutely hate how much water an RO/DI unit wastes. For every gallon you get of "pure" water you get, the units waste at least one gallon of water, but most units waste a lot more than that. I was blown away by the waste. I will just have to test my water before using it every time because you never know what the treatment facility will do to the water at any given time. If an RO/DI unit becomes available that doesn't produce so much "waste" water, I would get it, until then, I will not. Don't know if this helps at all, but if you are conscientious of your water usage, then an RO unit is not for you.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:29 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez79
It didn't though my Ph. still is between 7.6 to 7.8. I also took a sample to my lfs they got the same reading. I did a pwc and added more backing soda still nothing. I went out and bought a new test. Still same readings. Talked to people who own a pool they said use soda ash, baking soda just raises alkalinity. When I did a test for it it is over 500 ppm. Ph still 7.7
I have worked in the pool and spa industry for 15+ years, and yes, in a pool with thousands of gallons of water, baking soda will make the alkalinity go up more than the PH. However, ph will still go up. Soda ash ( sodium carbonate) is used to raise the ph more than the alkalinity, but same thing, the alkalinity will still rise some. Wen dealing with such a small volume of water as is found in aquariums and even smaller hot tubs(500 gallons), use sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). This will raise both the PH and Alkalinity. You may just need to let the water circulate for about 24 hours before you get a proper PH reading.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Who would I take my tap water to, to get it tested?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I took to multiple LFS. Home depot is doing a free home water test. Leslie's pool supply is free too and will test everything.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

your tap water may be safe at the moment, but read up on reef tank crashes, say from the UK and larger cities. Tap gets used often, but when something goes wrong...say a big natural gas company starts hydrofracking nearby, and fill your tap up with enough chemicals to pickle an elephant...well then you're just out of luck. No, the municipal water company won't comp you the cost, and no, you won't know until its too late. There was a huge crash in a city in the UK just recently. Water company just said "oops"

BTW, the waste water isn't really waste. Sure the ph may be a bit high, mine comes out of the tap regularly at 7.8, and out of the ro at 9, but its still gone through the sediment and carbon filters, so its good to use for plants, animals, people. Just save it, plumb it out side to a rain barrel like me.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would get a copy of your water municipalities water report. It will give you a detailed report. Also not trying to dispute but our water ranks in the top three in the country and there is nitrates, phosphates and heavy metals in tap water. There has to be as that is what we treat water with. You can not get it all out even with prime or other water treatments. All prime does is bind these compounds so that they are less lethal but they are still there. As I said this is my job and it`s what I do. As I said I`m not disputing anyone elses opinion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I would get a copy of your water municipalities water report. It will give you a detailed report. Also not trying to dispute but our water ranks in the top three in the country and there is nitrates, phosphates and heavy metals in tap water. There has to be as that is what we treat water with. You can not get it all out even with prime or other water treatments. All prime does is bind these compounds so that they are less lethal but they are still there. As I said this is my job and it`s what I do. As I said I`m not disputing anyone elses opinion.
What about running it through the house filtration systems first .The install guy swore to me it takes out all but TDS..Which he also tested for me and they were 42 that day..He said my area averages high 30's to low 40's ..
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #20
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

To get the truth I would get a copy of the municipality water report. And BTW any filtration is better than none.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tap water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com