Canaries in the Coal Mine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
While my back was turned and my attention on my ich riddled tang (and now passed RG) my main hit a nitrAte reading of 25 and with my new spiffy refractometer I found that I've been running my main at 1.026 (which leads my hubby to question the accuracy of the refractometer 8O ).

I've dropped the salinity over the last 3 days back down to 1.023 in my main, ph is 8.2, ammo & trite 0. I've gotten my trAte back down to 10 (not low enough but better).

During this period of high readings I had a Xenia elongata melt down on me (but the other two are fine?! as is my pom pom) and my Kenya tree also started having a meltdown (spawn of said tree is fine as is my other one). They're back on the road to recovery now and I've noticed that I can't find my Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. Are they my canaries? Would the high trAtes and prolonged (?) exposure to 1.026 have had ill effects on them? They've always been such outgoing critters and while I saw one (and only one of the two) hiding last night they've been MIA since then (did the water change last night with well aged mixed heated sw). I even fed and cleaned the tank today and they didn't come to climb on my arm.

My peppermint is fine and all of my other corals look great.

Give em a day or two. They like to hide when they molt. It may just be that.

hopefully just hiding, but shrimp are extremely sensitive to water chemistry changes.

Well, I haven't seen them since Thursday night. I guess the water chemistry has driven them over the edge. :cry: I'm ready to be done losing things.

Back
Top Bottom