Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maintenance won't make much difference in my knowledge as the de nitrifying bacteria live in the air pockets in the live rock and won't live in filters as they can only live in air as a result the nitrate is built by filter but there is no way to turn in back into harmless nitrogen. Not that nitrate is harmful to fish in small doses but only way to remove is to water change so plenty need to be done

Old 09-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hope that makes sense lol

Old 09-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lol I think so which is probably why it is possible to have a tank setup and not require any water changes for a long time if using live rock and good equipment....

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I personally don't use canister filters neither do I know anyone that does use them so I'm blown if I know why im trying to defend them haha

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Woody, I think you missed it a bit on aerobic or nitrifing bacteria. Aeorobic means oxygen rich WATER. The bacteria that breakdown ammonia and nitrite require oxygen in the water, not bubbles of air or pockets. The denitrifying bacteria, or anaerobic bacteria require oxygen free water. That occurs in the deeper parts of the rock structure that water can penetrate but does not readily replenish its oxygen and becomes anaerobic. That is where nitrate is broken down into nitrogen.

That being said, you are correct in that denitrifying bacteria cannot live in the filter membranes as the water's oxygen is constantly replaced.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah exactly .... Not that I would recommend it though lol.and Spose it's all about making sure info is correct for newbies really
Old 09-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Newb hypothetical question here: if a person had a tank with a deep bed of crushed coral substrate, would that harbour denitrifying bacteria?
Old 09-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess the point is that people that use Canister filters are just making more work for themselves?

I clean mine out every two to three weeks. That's when I do a BIG tank cleaning and it takes me an hour to do everything. The weeks in between I just take 10 gallons out of my 55 and replace it with fresh saltwater.

So I am correct in saying that the filters are fine so long as you clean them and maintain them. There is really no big benefit in having a Canister Filter or a Wet-Dry Filter over a sump tank correct? It just keeps the water clean and the water clear like they are suppose to and that's it!

What would a Sump tank advantage be over the filters? Besides less work!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes deep sand bed will de nitrify, and yes canister filters are ok of well maintained. The sump will house all of your equipment and make the display tank look better the skimmer will do a better job of filtering because it will pick organisms up that filter pads etc would not be able to. Sumps are great breeding grounds for pods for your tank and will also increase yOu water volume which is useful

Tags
canister, canister filter, canister filters, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com