Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2005, 11:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
450 gallons is massive..! put on ure swimming gear and jump in

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

, for real, in a tank that large i can NOT imagine trying to catch a specific fish, not without taking out rock. Thats what i had to do, and I have a 150 only. Trust me, I feel your pain!

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:36 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I saw this technique being used and it actually worked pretty well.....
Make a screen using some clear plastic tarp material with weights attached along one edge. Use your nets to herd the target fish into a corner of the tank near the screen, then spred the screen out to isolate the fish in the smaller area. It will then be alot easier to net your fish in the isolated area away from the rocks. Before herding your fish you may have to leave the screen in the tank for a few hours so that the fish will get used to it being in there.

Happy hunting!
1 Emperor 280 Bio-Wheel Filter
2 Hagen Aquaclear 802 Powerheads with Quick Filters
1 AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
1 200 watt Heater
52 pounds of Live Rock
2 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Ocelaris Clownfish
1 Hairy Mushroom Coral
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
8 Dwarf Hermit Crabs
10 Turbo Snails
10 Margarita Snails
5 Cerith Snails
5 Bumblebee Snails
1 Queen Conch
johnd4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:46 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I could never do that in my tank, too much rock and corals.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 03-05-2005, 09:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you all for really trying to give me some really good advice. The jokes are fun too. In all seriousness, it is virtually impossible to catch these fish (at least the Green Chromis). Even with the screen technique which I have not tried yet, I think they will outsmart me and take cover in the rock before I can use a net to direct them toward the area of interest. They actually back up into the rock so quickly before I even attempt any capture technique.

Thanks,
Pete R.

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you "empty" one area of rock? If so maybe you can chase the fish into the open area. When I have to catch any of my fish in my 150 I have to empty the rock to one side, kinda chase the fish into that side and use a piece of plexi glass to block them from getting back to the rock side. Still a pain but....

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 04:20 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

So if I understand the situation, the note to any newbies would be to leave a clear area for fish herding?
Good to know before setting up a tank... especially since I can't catch a snail! I always send the hubby in for fish herding!
Old 03-06-2005, 12:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My hubby is pretty good at that too. He is much quicker than I am.

Old 03-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #19
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deitta
So if I understand the situation, the note to any newbies would be to leave a clear area for fish herding?
Actually a better note would be to QT all new fish additions

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-06-2005, 10:21 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Actually a better note would be to QT all new fish additions
I agree.

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cap

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com