Capture technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I have a new 450g FOWLR setup and I was hoping that I would not have to think about removing any livestock for a while. Well, that is not the case, as I am faced with the need to remove a Green Chromis.

The tank on its cabinet is about 6' tall. The tank itself is 36" deep. There is 380 lbs. of lr. I tried using a net to catch the sich Chromis but I can tell this is going to be impossible.

Are there commercially available traps available that work? I do not have time to make a trap.

Please let me know your experiences with off-the-shelf products.

Thanks,
Pete R.

This is a salwater question and you posted it in a freshwater forum. But to answer your question, I haven't seen any type of trap that will catch fish. The only thing that I've seen is a good ol old fashion net. You could try getting a larger net (12 inch).

My experience with most creatures is if you can put the net in the water gently & sort of let it drift in front of the animal & then reach down & scare them from behind they will often dash into the net. If the animal is hiding in the rocks . . . Will it come out for food??

He'll come out for food but he is so darn aware of my presence as soon as I get near the top of the tank he goes into the rocks.

There are commercially sold traps for catching specific critters, but most of them are geared towards catching shrimp, worms and other things you might not want in your reef tank. I dont know how well they work for catching a fish, but I would think you might be able to catch a Chromis in a Mantis Trap...if he is small enough.

Thanks for the advice, but no matter how hard I try I am not able to catch them. The top of my tank is 6' high and it has large ovals cut outs on top which give me access to the tank. There is just too much lr and room for the little guys to get away. I can't come from behind to catch them. I may pay to have a local aquarium guy come help me so i can see his technique. Thanks again...

Pete R.

450 gallon 8O May i suggest some scoba gear! (JK) Unfortunateily i can offer no help, but good luck.

Jim

:lol: , for real, in a tank that large i can NOT imagine trying to catch a specific fish, not without taking out rock. Thats what i had to do, and I have a 150 only. Trust me, I feel your pain!

I saw this technique being used and it actually worked pretty well.....
Make a screen using some clear plastic tarp material with weights attached along one edge. Use your nets to herd the target fish into a corner of the tank near the screen, then spred the screen out to isolate the fish in the smaller area. It will then be alot easier to net your fish in the isolated area away from the rocks. Before herding your fish you may have to leave the screen in the tank for a few hours so that the fish will get used to it being in there.

Happy hunting!

Thank you all for really trying to give me some really good advice. The jokes are fun too. In all seriousness, it is virtually impossible to catch these fish (at least the Green Chromis). Even with the screen technique which I have not tried yet, I think they will outsmart me and take cover in the rock before I can use a net to direct them toward the area of interest. They actually back up into the rock so quickly before I even attempt any capture technique.

Thanks,
Pete R.

Can you "empty" one area of rock? If so maybe you can chase the fish into the open area. When I have to catch any of my fish in my 150 I have to empty the rock to one side, kinda chase the fish into that side and use a piece of plexi glass to block them from getting back to the rock side. Still a pain but....

So if I understand the situation, the note to any newbies would be to leave a clear area for fish herding? :)
Good to know before setting up a tank... especially since I can't catch a snail! :roll: I always send the hubby in for fish herding!

Deitta said:
So if I understand the situation, the note to any newbies would be to leave a clear area for fish herding?
Actually a better note would be to QT all new fish additions :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom