Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-08-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Caring for a Mantis Shrimp?

What is involved in caring for a Mantis Shrimp? (Peacock preferably)... I know there is a lot to consider here. Also, are there any other animals at all that I can put in the tank with him?

Thx / J

Justin_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Old 12-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I believe there are no other animals. Species only tank is how I've heard it. That means one tank, one thing in it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Well that's no fun.
I want a Mantis Biocube. The girlfriend wants a Seahorse biocube.
Too bad there isn't a happy medium somewhere.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I don't think they are to difficult to care for because people get them as hitch hikers and don't even know they have them for months and they survive. Gonna agree with austinsdad though i think just about anything you put in a tank with them with will try to eat.
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I would go with the seahorse tank. I`ve got a thread on here about mine when I had one. They are just as entertaining. Read up on them first though.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:43 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Yeah, a mantis and a seahorse tank wont work.
To be honest, I don't think you would really see the shrimp all that much, so the beauty of it may not be appreciated.
A seahorse tank would also (probably) not be really appreciated by someone (no offense here) that does not appreciate the true beauty and care of the animal (its not really a good show place animal if the friends and other folks don't know what goes into it....maybe kinda like a flowerbed...if you know what I mean).
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know this might be a little late, but I have a cube w/ a Peacock Mantis Shrimp. Also inside I have a Damsel fish and a Blemmie ( I dont know if thats spelled right). Though I think each shrimp is different, they all live very well together and are even allowed in the Matis Shrimp's den. One impotant thing if you want other fish in the tank w/ the mantis is to keep him well fed so that he doesn't go after the others. We are going to get a clown fish and anenome next and see how they do. Our tank is set up w/ lots of different corals also and though he will rearrange sometimes, most of the time he stays close to the ground and doesnt mess with things up on the rocks. Hope that helps if you havent already gone w/ the seahorses, we love our mantis he has personality and is as interested in you as you are in him.
Seedless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus
I would not mix seahorses and a mantis, but a mantis can be kept with other fish with caution as long as the mantis is a "hammer" or "club" variety and not a "spearer." "Hammer" varieties will eat any and all snail/invertebrate populations. I would venture to say, size-wise, that any fish should be over the 3" mark.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote

mantis shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com