Caring for a Mantis Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin_Toronto

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is involved in caring for a Mantis Shrimp? (Peacock preferably)... I know there is a lot to consider here. Also, are there any other animals at all that I can put in the tank with him?

Thx / J

Well that's no fun.
I want a Mantis Biocube. The girlfriend wants a Seahorse biocube.
Too bad there isn't a happy medium somewhere.

I don't think they are to difficult to care for because people get them as hitch hikers and don't even know they have them for months and they survive. Gonna agree with austinsdad though i think just about anything you put in a tank with them with will try to eat.

I would go with the seahorse tank. I`ve got a thread on here about mine when I had one. They are just as entertaining. Read up on them first though.

Yeah, a mantis and a seahorse tank wont work.
To be honest, I don't think you would really see the shrimp all that much, so the beauty of it may not be appreciated.
A seahorse tank would also (probably) not be really appreciated by someone (no offense here) that does not appreciate the true beauty and care of the animal (its not really a good show place animal if the friends and other folks don't know what goes into it....maybe kinda like a flowerbed...if you know what I mean).

Last edited:
I know this might be a little late, but I have a cube w/ a Peacock Mantis Shrimp. Also inside I have a Damsel fish and a Blemmie ( I dont know if thats spelled right). Though I think each shrimp is different, they all live very well together and are even allowed in the Matis Shrimp's den. One impotant thing if you want other fish in the tank w/ the mantis is to keep him well fed so that he doesn't go after the others. We are going to get a clown fish and anenome next and see how they do. Our tank is set up w/ lots of different corals also and though he will rearrange sometimes, most of the time he stays close to the ground and doesnt mess with things up on the rocks. Hope that helps if you havent already gone w/ the seahorses, we love our mantis he has personality and is as interested in you as you are in him.

I would not mix seahorses and a mantis, but a mantis can be kept with other fish with caution as long as the mantis is a "hammer" or "club" variety and not a "spearer." "Hammer" varieties will eat any and all snail/invertebrate populations. I would venture to say, size-wise, that any fish should be over the 3" mark.

Back
Top Bottom