Carribean Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

topgundcp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to add some more LR to my FOWLR tank and was looking at this site:
International Marine Fish: http://www.intmarinefish.com/liverock.html
They have Carribean LR for $3.50/lb.

Has anybody ever purchased from this site ? and what is the quality of the LR ?

BTW, what is the difference between FIJI, TONGA and Carribean LR ???

I've never ordered from them. That does seem like a good price.

topgundcp said:
BTW, what is the difference between FIJI, TONGA and Carribean LR ???
Fiji is from Fiji, Tonga is from Tonga and Carribean is from the Carribain, it's just where they harvested the rock.

Caribbean (Haitian) lr is usually comprised of coral heads (usually plated in shape) that have been reencrusted by corralines, sponges, etc. Figi lr is light weight, porous, and irregularly shaped. For the price, Figi can't be beat. Tonga is also lightweight, moreso than Figi I imagine, and has branch structures.

I helped a guy put some caribean in his tank a month ago and it had alot of die off on it and had to be washed off real good before being cured. As James said it was very plate like.

I know this topic is a little old now but I saw this post very soon after I ordered some live rock from this web site and wanted to wait until I finished recuring, put it in my tank, then let it sit awhile before I commented.

On the website, you can special order pieces so I requested longer, flat, slate-like pieces that were porous and they quickly responded back and told me they'd be happy to send those types of pieces.

I ordered 60 pounds and they sent about 65 pounds so they were very fair with the measurement. All the pieces had ample amount of life, ie sponges, etc. It says on the website you should cure the cured rock for about putting it in the tank and the cure the uncured for about a week. I recured the cured rock for a little over a week just to be safe, and of course brushed off all the sponges and other life on the rock.

The pieces were exactly what I asked for. They sent a great variety of very large pieces and moderately sized pieces and the rock looks fantastic in my tank! I've had it in my tank for over a week now and my ammonia levels haven't gone up even slightly.

For $200, it's the only live rock I'll get again! I plan on ordering another 30-60 pounds soon.

I read somewhere that carribean rock has a nasty varity of bristleworm sometimes in it . Fiji has lots of various shapes and coloring while tonga is deeper water branching structure .

Back
Top Bottom