caught lizards fish at a pier can I feed them to my Moray eels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark The Kidd

Aquarium Advice Regular
Went fishing on Monday caught some lizard fish at long beach pier will it be okay if I clean them up and cut them into pieces and feed them to my snowflake eel and my yellow head eel since its a saltwater fish?

Some lizards are poisonous........ Do you know what the actual name is of the lizard?

I personally don't see any reason why you couldn't. The only thing to be aware of is the possibility of parasites or other infections they may transfer to your tank. Kinda the idea behind quarantine but I'm sure there are steps you can take to kill off anything that may be a threat, ie: freezing the food first. I'm not a pro here so don't quote me however, I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong... at least I hope.

I personally don't see any reason why you couldn't. The only thing to be aware of is the possibility of parasites or other infections they may transfer to your tank. Kinda the idea behind quarantine but I'm sure there are steps you can take to kill off anything that may be a threat, ie: freezing the food first. I'm not a pro here so don't quote me however, I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong... at least I hope.

Yeah their still in my fridge frozen just wanted to treat my eels to something new but wanted to be sure first

I would definitely research first. If you don't find answers here you may try Google. I'm sure the fish itself is perfectly safe and like you said, a treat, but I'd research the dangers of feeding wild caught fish first.

I would definitely research first. If you don't find answers here you may try Google. I'm sure the fish itself is perfectly safe and like you said, a treat, but I'd research the dangers of feeding wild caught fish first.

Yeah I'll do research if I don't get any answers here thanks btw.

I would think that a light poaching would be ok (high temp water for a a few seconds) , guess it would be based on how picky the eel is about "cooked" food

Back
Top Bottom