cause of ammonia spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've always enjoyed my ammonia readings being zero. When I tested just now I had the following parameters:

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: 8.1
kH: 11
SG: 1.025

Could this be the tank adjusting to the bio load of the royal gramma I added recently? Or the recent algae outbreak?

Also, I was trying to hold off on a PWC until sunday to get on a regular weekly maitenance schedule.

Think I could hold off for four more days as long as ammonia and nitrates don't go any higher?

I would do a pwc. You wanna get on schedule, do another one on sunday. :) best to change too much than too little.

Have you noticed any missing cuc or are you an over feeder? lol Thats some good ammonia sources right there

I had a crab die the day after I got him. I left him in there a couple days to make sure he was really dead and not pulling a crabby trick. My ammonia readings have been 0 after I pulled him out though.

I probably am an over feeder. There's little pellets sitting on the bottom that I get with my vacuum during PWC. :(

And I suppose I will do a small PWC tomorrow. :( really wanted to be regularized!

Just do a little one real quick and do a thorough one on Sunday. You prob dont have a huge amount of ammonia plus when you use your dechlorinator it will bind up small amounts of ammonia, remember? So your ammonia issue will be resolved tomorrow with minimal work. :)

least thats what i would do.

Is it ok to use the saltwater that's been sitting in my bin for about a week? I could heat it up and run the powerhead.

OK, just did a 5 gallon PWC.
Will test the parameters in a bit after I give it time to settle. I did a gravel vacuum to get some food pellets out.
My diatoms are getting out of control. They've turned my tank a dingy brown color. Not the water, but rocks and decorations.

Back
Top Bottom