Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Chaeto and Ph

I just bought a ball of chaeto and tossed it in my sump, started reading online about lighting cycles (which from what I gather, it's good to run the sump lights opposite the DT lights..?) and came across it messing with ph.. Has anyone had experience with ph swings from adding chaeto? I saw one comment that the reason for running the light opposite is to help control these swings. Any help here is much appreciated.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Never heard about the pH thing and most do the same. They run the light opposite the DT lights.

22engine has a awesome setup with his macro algae. Look him up.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadair22
I just bought a ball of chaeto and tossed it in my sump, started reading online about lighting cycles (which from what I gather, it's good to run the sump lights opposite the DT lights..?) and came across it messing with ph.. Has anyone had experience with ph swings from adding chaeto? I saw one comment that the reason for running the light opposite is to help control these swings. Any help here is much appreciated.
Yes running opposite lighting schedules will reduce the swing in PH. Cause when all lights are off you PH will drop. I run my sump lights 24/7
Old 09-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, pH drops at night because all fish, inverts, corals and algae take in oxygen and expel CO2 when the lights go off. CO2 then builds up as carbonic acid in the water and lowers the pH. Keeping plants in the sump lit at night allows them to absorb the dissolved CO2 and produce oxygen. This is what helps to stabilize night time pH swings. It takes a good bit of cheato to do it but it'll grow.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the replies everyone.. Is it necessary to run 24/7 or is it preference..? Just wondering.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm confused a bit. Adding cheato does not cause pH swings. That was the question. Everyone is saying pH will swing, correct due to lights going off at night. But NOT because you added macro algae.

I just wanna be clear or am I missing something?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 09-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My understanding is that as it grows it would just contribute to a bigger swing?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It isn't effected by the algae, it is effected by the lighting cycle. Lights go out and ph drops, this is normal. By having lights on opposing your DT, this then prevents the swing.

This should explain it, I think I have the right link...
Boardroom Aquatics
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadair22
My understanding is that as it grows it would just contribute to a bigger swing?
During the daytime, the Chaetomorpha will help raise the pH by consuming carbon dioxide from the air. During the night, it might add a bit of carbon dioxide back in but shouldn't have much effect on pH.

The lights I would think have a greater impact on pH but then again I wouldn't think that drastic. I only have a BC29 but my pH swing if any is barely noticeable with tests.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
It isn't effected by the algae, it is effected by the lighting cycle. Lights go out and ph drops, this is normal. By having lights on opposing your DT, this then prevents the swing.

This should explain it, I think I have the right link...
Boardroom Aquatics
That makes more sense. Thank you Hank

I was getting confused for a second.

Tags
chaeto

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com