Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Red face Changing Filter Pads

Hey everyone,

I just started putting together my first saltwater tank about mid december. The tank has finally cycled and the test readings finally look great. I had a questions about my filter (emperor 480). I was told by someone never to change the filter pads inside the filter because of the beneficial bacteria, i thought that was what the 2 bio wheels were for? Anyway i have had the pads in there for aout 5 weeks. Is it safe to change out the pads? Should i just take the pads out and risne the off? or is it ok just to leave them alone

Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the pads are dirty you can rinse them off in tank water (the water you remove from the tank during a water change). The pads will have bacteria in them and rinsing with fresh water will kill it.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the info! I guess i heard just to replace them when the blue pad starts to tear off or fall apart
Old 01-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once your tank has cycled, you could probably do that too. I change out the pads in my sump whenever they get dirty and I have never had a problem.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpblick12 View Post
Thanks for the info! I guess i heard just to replace them when the blue pad starts to tear off or fall apart
Yepp, rinse until it falls apart. Once it falls apart use it to seed the new pad by putting it in the filter right before the new media.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I rinse mine when it looks really dirty, and I have had no problems.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpblick12 View Post
Hey everyone,

I just started putting together my first saltwater tank about mid december. The tank has finally cycled and the test readings finally look great. I had a questions about my filter (emperor 480). I was told by someone never to change the filter pads inside the filter because of the beneficial bacteria, i thought that was what the 2 bio wheels were for? Anyway i have had the pads in there for aout 5 weeks. Is it safe to change out the pads? Should i just take the pads out and risne the off? or is it ok just to leave them alone
In saltwater your beneficial bacteria will be mainly on your lr and sand, many of people in this hobby don't even use a filter pads.. Filter pads are just to pick up large particles from the water column but that is why you do water changes for anyways.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Great Thanks for all of your help! Just got my first fish today!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

What did you get?

Tags
changing, filter, filter change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com