Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Changing flitration media

So I have a innovative marine nuvo 30.

It says that I should replace the filter media every month.

I thought that your filtration kept all the beneficial bacteria. So changing it would create a 'mini cycle'?

Would I be better off just cleaning it then putting it back in?

Old 05-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clean it and put it back. Save your money.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The Carbon filters is what you replace every month. Keeps the water clear! Helps anyway. The sponges you keep until they are falling apart and you can't keep them no more.

When cleaning make sure you clean in dirty tank water! Don't squeeze out the sponges! Just swish them around in the bucket of old tank water to get the big stuff off them. Clean all the plastic parts with warm clean water, but no soap. If you got the bio-rings just set the container that is holding them in the old tank water and clean off the container. Basically any filter media that contains life is cleaned in old tank water, anything that does not just warm water and paper towel.

Oh and one more thing I learned! Put a fish net over the return in the tank, when you turn back on the filter a-lot of junk comes out of the return and into your tank. Mine does anyway. Put the net over it and you have no issues! :-p
Old 05-13-2013, 03:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I thought you had a canister filter! I see the tank is all in one! That's cool!!

Same basic principle! Do a water change, and clean all the filter media in the old dirty water making sure not to squeeze the life out of the sponges. You are just trying to get all the big stuff off your sponges and other area's of the filter media.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

The information above is incorrect. Swishing the foam inserts around in tank water will not clean them. They need to be squeezed vigorously to remove the solid material embedded in the foam. It usually takes 5 or 6 changes of the water before a foam insert will become relatively clean. Putting a plugged foam back into the filter after "rinsing" it doesn't do much to restore flow through the foam. It needs to be cleaned.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok I have Mechanical Sponge, Activated Carbon Sponge and Phosphate Sponge in my filtration chamber.

How and when should I wash these out?

And with what water, R/O? Tank?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
The Carbon filters is what you replace every month. Keeps the water clear! Helps anyway. The sponges you keep until they are falling apart and you can't keep them no more.

When cleaning make sure you clean in dirty tank water! Don't squeeze out the sponges! Just swish them around in the bucket of old tank water to get the big stuff off them. Clean all the plastic parts with warm clean water, but no soap. If you got the bio-rings just set the container that is holding them in the old tank water and clean off the container. Basically any filter media that contains life is cleaned in old tank water, anything that does not just warm water and paper towel.

Oh and one more thing I learned! Put a fish net over the return in the tank, when you turn back on the filter a-lot of junk comes out of the return and into your tank. Mine does anyway. Put the net over it and you have no issues! :-p
Why the heck didn't I think of the last part!!! Genius!
Old 05-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
The information above is incorrect. Swishing the foam inserts around in tank water will not clean them. They need to be squeezed vigorously to remove the solid material embedded in the foam. It usually takes 5 or 6 changes of the water before a foam insert will become relatively clean. Putting a plugged foam back into the filter after "rinsing" it doesn't do much to restore flow through the foam. It needs to be cleaned.
I was always told not to squeeze the sponges. I normally would just take my hand and knock off the solid stuff.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkin View Post
Ok I have Mechanical Sponge, Activated Carbon Sponge and Phosphate Sponge in my filtration chamber.

How and when should I wash these out?

And with what water, R/O? Tank?
I clean with every other water change. So once every two weeks.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post

I clean with every other water change. So once every two weeks.
Ok and what water do you use - r/o? tank water?

Tags
changing, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com