changing from fish only to fish and Live rock, questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScubaDean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I resently began changing my fish only tank (55gal) to reef . I replaced the undergravel filter with LS, and added a wet/dry, every thing was fine waited about 3 weeks, I then added one small piece of live rock , couple weeks every thing still fine . I then added a tang which I now believed introduced ICK to the tank and lost all my fish. I have since added 20 lbs of live rock and a couple of shrimp ( hope to add at least 25 lbs more of rock).

Should I wait until all my rock has been added to put fish in , or can I slowly replace fish as I built the reef??

If adding fish is OK , don't I need to wait at least 4 weeks to be sure the ICK is gone??

i would add the rock before any more fish are introduced. this makes sure the rock cures fully and an ammonia spike won't kill any fish. if you want tho, you could purchase a fish or two and have it quarintined until all the rock is fully cured and cycled. this will also allow for the 4 weeks to pass for all the ick to die off.

also, you dont need the media for the wet/dry. if you have bio balls or anything in there, you might want to take them out. the LR and LS will provide for all the bio filtration you need.

Thanks , I will be setting up a QT. and the suggestion sounds good , by the time I get the QT up and running, then put in fish at least a month will have passed.

I still have a brittle star, 2-cumbers , 2 shrimp , and a couple of crabs, along with the Rock will this be enough to keep the BIO filter alive?

also is there any dis-advantage in keeping the wet/dry in use?

I have setup the QT tank, but Iam still not sure if I should remove the Bio balls from my wet/dry, is there any negitive effects of leaving the wet/dry running.

I still have a brittle star, 2-cumbers , 2 shrimp , and a couple of crabs, along with the Rock will this be enough to keep the BIO filter alive?
Yes, but don't forget to feed them. Not much, but they do need to eat during the 4-6 week QT period.

also is there any dis-advantage in keeping the wet/dry in use?
Yes, wet/dry are nitrate factories. That's ok for fish only but you stated you want to go reef. That would require a tank with 0 or near 0 nitrates.
I still have my wet/dry running but without any bio-balls it's no longer a wet/dry...it's a sump. Soon to be replaced with a larger sump, a new skimmer, then a lighting upgrade (again) then some corals... will it ever end?

How much LS did you add ? How deep is the sand bed?

Thank you for your advice.

The sand bed is 3" to 4" , currently I have 20 lbs of LR. I am building a new stand as soon as it is completed and I replace the old stand I will add more rock (20-30 LBS). I have been feeding the critters just a little. I will remove the WET/DRY which is a back pack.

Should I put another Mechanical filter?

Back
Top Bottom