Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Changing substrate

So I've been battling nitrates for a little bit and I've done everything including checking equipment etc. I really think its my substrate! For over a week now I've only had one clown and 3 shrimp in my tank that is over two years old. It has live rock as well. I've changed all filter pads and cleaned all equipment (tank is 56 gallons). I use RO water and I've only been feeding my clown 1x every other day. I do have a protein skimmer that works. I really have been wanting to change my sand out for a while anyway. Will it cycle again? How can I do this and make sure my live rock, clown, and shrimp are ok?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd say remove fish and shrimp, put in a bucket or something, same with live rock, power heads and heaters depending on how long it will take to change. You don't clean your substrate? Not sure about if it will cycle again.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser
So I've been battling nitrates for a little bit and I've done everything including checking equipment etc. I really think its my substrate! For over a week now I've only had one clown and 3 shrimp in my tank that is over two years old. It has live rock as well. I've changed all filter pads and cleaned all equipment (tank is 56 gallons). I use RO water and I've only been feeding my clown 1x every other day. I do have a protein skimmer that works. I really have been wanting to change my sand out for a while anyway. Will it cycle again? How can I do this and make sure my live rock, clown, and shrimp are ok?
Unsure why you think your sand is the problem, but do not replace with live sand, doing so probably would cause a significant ammonia spike and cause problems.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are your trates testing at? How often are you doing PWC's and how much?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I do clean it but it's fairly deep and I had read that this can harbor things that can hurt your water quality if you stir it up to much. I really want a lot less...like maybe an inch thick. Right now I think I have close to 3.5 inches! My hubby put in the sand initially and went a little overboard. I'm just afraid that it will cycle again. I may set up my 20 gallon and put my shrimp and fish, some of the live rock in just incase. If I get a large tub and put the rest of the live rock in there with a power head for a week will it die off?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hope you solve the issue. I'll be following along as I have a 3" and in some places 4" sand bed in my bio cube 29 that's almost 9 months old and I haven't had issues as of yet.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I do a 15-20% water change a week. I need to look at my log and see what it was two nights ago when I did a water change. My phosphates were up a little as well. It's been like this for about 5 weeks. I've cut down on feeding and I almost feel like I'm starving them. I've never had this issue in this tank or the larger tank I had years ago. Since I've done most everything that I've read up on and read here, this is the only thing I can think of that might be the issue.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are your nitrates testing at? And how much do they decrease after a pwc?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I sound like someone who has just recently decided to have a SW tank. I've had tanks on and off since I was in college but I've never had the issues I've had with this one. I'm about to have a freakin priest come and bless this thing! I feel like its cursed! LOL!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, before the last water change, nitrates tested at 5.0 my phosphates were .25 . After I did the water change (did about 25%) they looked to be 0. Problem is, in another day, they wont be 0. It's a pattern and I don't know what else it could be.

Tags
changing, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com