Changing substrate from gravel to live sand - question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all. I just came across this site and have learned quite a bit the past few days. I was recently given a 120 gallon FOWLR tank. I've decided to slowly work on converting it to a reef tank. I've upgraded all my hardware to what I'll need for a reef tank, and now plan on working on the tank itself. Currently it has some kind of gravel substrate w/ broken shells. I want to convert it over to an argonite based sand and create a deep sea bed.

I currently have 4 fish (cardinal, blenny and 2 clowns), about 80 various snails, about 30 hermit crabs, 2 brittle stars, 3 shrimp, and 2 green mithrax crabs. There is also about 50-60 pounds of LR. Everything is doing good right now.

I have a few questions:
1. Should I replace the gravel w/ sand, or put the sand on top of the gravel? (I want about 4 inches of sand) If I replace the gravel, should I do it all at once, or in stages? Should I only replace part of the gravel?

2. I have a 35 gallon tall tank I was going to set up as a quarantine tank. Would it be a good idea to move all the critters to this tank for a few days while I replace the sand and let it settle, or should I leave them in there? Not sure what would cause the least stress.

3. Should my rock rest on top of the sand, or should I put the rock in, and put the sand around it? Does it matter? I plan to buy more rock in the future, but I can create a bottom layer with what I have.

4. How much sand would I need to get a 4 inch bed? The measurements are 60"l x 18"w x 24"h. I plan to find a cheap argonite sand and mix it with some live sand.

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks for any help you can give.

well take a look on this site some more. i know there is a cal to tell you how many lbs you will need by inputing the size of your tank. also take a look at the articals on this site. there is one about how to change it out with out killing all.

Thanks, I thought I did a good search for the answers, but I missed the articles.

Back
Top Bottom