changing tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nh iceman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, Great site by the way.

I am in the process of moving my fish, serphant star and live rock to a brand new bow front 46 gallon tank. The reason for this is the 40 gallon tank they are in has a broken center brace and has been making me very nervous that it may break at some point.

My plan is to use 20lbs of new live sand, 20 lbs of crushed coral and probably 10-20 lbs of sand from my existing tank. Aslo I am planning to fill the new tank about 50% with the water from the old tank and transfer over the filter as well. My hope is that this will eliminate the start up cycle that is normal for a new tank.

My questions are is it good to use the old sand? Old water? Old filter? and will i limit the cycle time by doing this?

Thanks for any help on this

Welcome to AA!

I would use all the old sand, but save only a few cups and wash the rest thoroughly in fresh water before you transfer it. Add the sand you saved to seed the washed stuff and add more new sand if needed, but stay away from crushed coral. If you don't mind buying all new sand, then still, only save a few cups and dump the rest.
You can use 1/2 the old tank water and the filter from the old tank. You shouldn't have a cycle at all.

hi all, thank you for the comments, suggestions and the welcome. I never thought about washing the old sand that is an awsome idea. I am curious though why you say not to use the crushed coral. Are there bad things about using it or is the live sand just better. I am just curious.

thanks

It will trap waste and debris under it causing high nitrates.I always suggest using new sand because the old sand can get so dirty but I guess if you can get it clean like Larry said then you should be OK.

well that would't be good especially since i want to try some corals in the new tank.

Thanks again for the info

CC can also limit your sand sifting critters. I had CC and liked it for about 3 months...Then I switched to sand.

=====> Also from NH, Welcome!
I originally had sand, switched to CC, and now I started my second tank up with sand.. My other still has CC and I got rid of 1/2 of it b.c it kept the tank so dirty! (esp. with big fish) I like sand way better.. I just did a tank transfer how they suggested and they were fine. I am just trying to cycle my 2nd tank and used 1/4 of the water from the other and its taking forever!

Hi all,

Just wanted to check in and let you all know I did the swap over this afternoon/evening (just finished up now actually). Things are looking pretty good so far although the water is still quite cloudy from the new sand. I will have to wait till tommorow i guess to position my live rock.

Thanks again to all for your great advice.

Christine, using just water from an established tank won't help the cycle very much. Keep in mind the beneficial bacteria resides in your LR, substrate and possibly your filter media.

Back
Top Bottom