Changing water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nguyen27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,
This question may been here before, but again, how do I change water in a FOWLR? Mix the water with salt, and then wait few hours or so, and then take out some old water, and slowly add new one back in, but how about the PH level in the new water? Doesn't that need to be adjust to around like said 8.1 - 8.3 before adding into the tank? If the PH needed to be adjust, then some sort of chem additive will be add into the water as the nature way of buffering PH in the water most likely can't be use in the new water (sand/subtratres buffering)
Thanks

The best way to prepare new SW for a water change is add the appropriate amount of salt to your RO water and let it mix with a powerhead and heater for 24 hrs. Once the salinity and temp match's the main tank, test the ph and alkalinity to see if they match. If not then you may need to add a buffer but I highly doubt that will be neccessary.

Once the chemistry of the new water is good, remove the desired amount of old water from the tank and simpley replace with the new. Providing the chem match's you should not have any problems unless switching salt brands. In that case do much smaller water changes over 1-2 months to allow the animals a slow adjustment period.

With the old water in a container, it would be the best time to clean out any equipment that needs it as well. Using the removed tank water is the best way to ensure less loss of bacteria and coralline bleaching as apposed to using unsalinated fresh water. Once your done, it can be flushed.

Cheers
Steve

Another question,
About a month ago, I setup my 15gal SW tank, was kindda put more salt into the water than needed (Instant Ocean, is it a good choice?), so I end up taking out some water and fill them into a 5 gals bottle, and now I'm finishing up with the cycling of the tank, and I just wondering if the water that I have in the bottle still can be use to do a water change, as I don't have anything in the tank yet, beside some LR! Since the water been sit in the bottle for quite few weeks now.
Thanks

If the excess water was removed before the cycle started (not tainted) or never used in the main tank, it should be fine. Just be sure you aerate it well before using and be sure to double check the salinity, alk, ph and make sure the temperature match's the main tank.

I do not care for Instant Ocean salts. The chemistry is wacked IME. High alk, low Ca. Personally I use Kent Salts but I'm sure others may chime in with their prefernce.

Cheers
Steve

I agree with Steve on the instant oceant, I just switched from that to Kent and I could not be happier!! Very consistent & clean mixing salt, not so with instant ocean...

Providing the chem match's you should not have any problems unless switching salt brands. In that case do much smaller water changes over 1-2 months to allow the animals a slow adjustment period.

What do you consider a small water change (how much and how often)? I too am an Instant Ocean user and after reading what every one on here seems to think of it am considering a change.

Whenever switching salt brands it's best to do it slowly, IO or otherwise. Basically cut back to ½ the amount you normally would. No large water changes. If you do 10% weekly, 5% would be better.

If nitrates are a concern, get those in check first. You can easily feed every second day as well which will greatly reduce the source of nitrates depending on set up.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks again guys, so any type/brand of sand that you guys recommended? Adding LS now will make my tank go thru another cycle period isn't it?
Thanks

"play sands" are not available in my neck of the woods so I stick with CaribSea products. I like the Aragmax Select the best. It really does not matter as long as it is an oolitic aragonite sand. Silica sand can also be used but they are prone to impurities.

The tank is still new so quite honestly now is the best time to do it. Depending on how much rock there is, you should not get much more than a small increase in nitrates. Just be sure if you use both dry and LS, place the dry in first.

Are there any animals in the tank?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom