Charcoal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tategrant

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a wet dry filter system and the guy whom I purchased it said to get new charcoal thus the old was dried out. Could I put regular charcoal in the bag?

Charcoal NO but activated carbon you will need to replace it once a month with aquarium grade activated carbon...

I change mine once a month but if you have a heavy bioload you may need to do it more if u see the water yellowing its past time

you can get better performance, and more bang for the buck with something like SeaChem's Purigen, that can be regenerated every 6 months or so, instead of throwing it out and replacing it.

I have a sump with a dual reactor gfo and carbon ..I have also used purigen with great results in my nano tank...

it's an example...the most basic carbon you can get. for the money, you're better with chemi-pure elite or purigen. those two far exceed carbon's abilities.

So I just pour it into my bag or should I rinse it first?

it depends on the product.

Purigen comes pre-packed in bags, or loose. Either way, no rinsing is needed.
I don't know about Chemi-pure, you should read the directions.
For the Marineland stuff, definitely rinse until there are no more fines after you've put it in the filter sock. You can also check out BRS ROX..much better than the carbon Marineland puts out: BRS Bulk Premium ROX 0.8 Aquarium Carbon - Bulk Reef Supply

Regardless of the product, read the directions.

Back
Top Bottom