charcoal filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellowyellow

Aquarium Advice Freak
On my 30g I only use the filter that came with the kit. The question I have after reading a few questions on AA about filters is it risky to just pull out the old filter and replace it with a new one? I've been reading about friendly bacteria from those in the know at AA about saving some of the old filter. I don't see how. Perhaps I'm reading more into this than is necessary.:crazyeyes:

If you have live rock, I would just completely do away with the HOB. If not, just swish the cartridge in used tank water when you do your water change. Carbon is kind of pointless unless you plan on dosing meds in the tank which should be done in a QT tank anyway.

I would not worry to much about the bacteria in the filter pad. You will not be losing that much bacteria when you change it. Just do not do a water change for about a week after new put a new filter pad in. I have several filters that are just like the one you got. They where all given to me by people who no longer wanted them. I just change the filter pad out and put a new one back in. I like the AquaClear filters the best. You should look into getting one of these for you aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom