Cheap skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sicklidkid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi i recently posted a message about a protein skimmer. I was kind of discouraged by the high prices on the models suggested to me. I was looking around and i found some cheaper skimmers. I know they are probably not as good but i cant afford an expensive on right now. I need it for a 55 gallon FOWLR tank. Is the Aquarium Systems Seaclone Protein Skimmer - 100, or the Red Sea Prizm Skimmer any good?

I use a Prizm on a 20 gallon and it does okay. It can be noisy, the flow control is touchy and its got hard to clean areas inside. I've never used a more powerful skimmer so I don't know what kind of gunk I'm missing out on. I would say that even though it is rated for 90 gallons, a 55 is the max I would use it on.

I like to tell people to take the rating on the skimmers and cut it in half. That is the max size for efficent skimmer use.

I used the old model prizm. It is a bit louder than the Remora for example. Sensitive as Brad said in adjusting it but overall its a good skimmer for the price. The new models include the ability to use a surface skimmer. If you get the prizm get the surface skimmer attachment as this will greatly improve the skimmers effectivness.

You could even go one step further and DIY yourself a skimmer.

One other note on the prizms...like FF said, look for the deluxe model. It comes with the surface skimmer and a basket to hold GAC or any other filter media. Both come in handy.

IMO the only skimmer worth buying is an aqua C remora with a skimmer basket. Works great, worth the money. I had a sea clone 100 and it was to tempermental.

Back
Top Bottom