Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Chemi Pure Elite

Has anybody tried this product? I believe they are claiming that you do not even need to do partial water changes.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...s~vendor~.html

It is called Boyd Chemi Pure Elite. The long address above will take you right to it . Any thoughts or experiences with this stuff?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
I have used the regular chemi-pure with sucess before, but not the elite. I saw in the Dr Foster and Smith catalog the other day and wondered about it myself.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use the regular Chemi-Pur in my tanks. I have not used the elite either. I would be very hesitant of anything that claims to eliminate the need for water changes.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree w/ Lando. Claiming to eliminate the need for PWC's is going a little too far. I realize replacing trace elements, etc. is not as important in FO tanks as it is in reefs, but it's still good husbandry IMO. Even more so in FOWLR for the hitchhikers (inverts, coralline). Alk levels will diminish w/ time as it's used to neutralize waste(acids) to maintain PH. PWC's are good for replenishing Alk, Ca, etc. PWC's are just a part of good husbandry IMO and IME.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have used it and probably will not use it again. I mainly got it to help with my phosphate problem and it wasn't impressive enough to purchase it again. I do use the regular chemi-pure in my fw tank and occasionally in my sw tank.

I would not agree with their statement of eliminating pwc's.....while the regular chemi-pure has worked well for me, I've always done pwc's every week.

HTH
Old 09-27-2007, 09:51 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
I would be very hesitant of anything that claims to eliminate the need for water changes.
My sentiments exactly. This product can not add the 89 or so trace elements that are found in marine salts. JMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:15 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Thanks to all for the advice. I was thinking the same thing but figured it would not hurt to ask. I bought some of the regular Chemi Pure today and figured I would try it out, but I will still continue my partial water changes.
What about the claim they have on there saying that the Chemi Pure bag does not need to be replaced for 4-6 months? Any experience or thoughts with that?
Old 09-28-2007, 01:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's probably really no different than Seachem's Purigen. I use Purigen and replace it every 2 months, even though I'm sure I could let it go for 4 months. The Chemi Pure itself probably does exactly what it's supposed to - remove a bunch of bad stuff. Instead of using it to replace PWCs, I think it's a totally perfect thing to use to supplement PWCs. But it all boils down to marketing - they probably sell a ton more if they claim "you don't have to change your water as much" instead of claiming "you can get even cleaner water while doing the same abound of water changes."
Old 09-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What about the claim they have on there saying that the Chemi Pure bag does not need to be replaced for 4-6 months? Any experience or thoughts with that?
In a lightly stocked tank with good husbandry it very well may last 4-6 months. I replace mine every 1-2 months. One thing you can do to increase its life is rinse it with RO/DI water instead of tap water before adding it to the tank. It will absorb the impurities in the tap water and, thus, decrease its effective life.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with the rest. Most importantly, PWCs help to replace the depleted trace elements needed by our critters.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chemi, elite

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com