Chevron tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schmilnik

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I have a blue tang and I asked my LFS to pick up a chevron tang for me are these two going to be compatible?

It matters not the Family of tang or surgeonfish as they will scuffle for territories and food regardless of similarities. Blue "Hippo" tangs, Paracanthurus hepatus, tend to be docile compared to most tangs, unless of course your blue tang is Acanthurus coeruleus, which can be fiesty.

yes but those of the same family tend to fight worse, correct? I have a Sailfin and a Kole that are doing great. I have a yellow that I have not added in fears of the fighting that might ensue. Everything I have seen said to not match up same family types, although I have seen it done ...

You have to keep in mind personality and also established territories. Some fish which are meant to be perfectly OK with each other will fight just because of personalities.

I was apparently meant to be able to add a bi-colour angel to my tank with a scopas tang, with caution. It was a disaster. The bi-colour is now in a hospital tank recovering after a vicious attack by the tang.

I thought a general rule is not to mix tangs unless there's lots of space, or you add them together. Seems with two already, you're running a might risk there in my view.

I had heard that adding together or adding the largest more dominant last can work. This is where I am at. The sail fin is no where near as aggressive as the yellow. The kole is not aggressive at all. If I add the yellow, it will be after a rock re-work. I have a 180 gal display with 6 fish. I think it might work. I will have to be prepared to disassemble if needed though. Kind of why the yellow is in the 100 gal frag tank ...

Adding fish can be tricky!

I'd still be cautious. I thought my tang was a real weakling and scared too easy. Turns out he was pretty much the opposite.

Good luck anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom