Chiller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperAlex

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone out there give me some suggestions on a way too keep my 90g tank at a steady temp during the summer without breaking the bank? I'm not sure if fans in the sump will be enough or if I will need a chiller. If you suggest a chiller if you could tell me what type and why that would be great.

It probably depends on where you are and how cool you keep your house. I'm out in the Palm Springs area, so it gets HOT. I decided that it would be less expensive, in the long run, to buy a chiller rather than to run the AC low all day. I ended up with a used JBJ Artica 1/10 for $175 on Craigslist. Works great, water temp stays right where I want it. You can always try the fans. Much less expensive and I've heard it works well for some tanks.

I live in Atlanta and have 3 large dogs so durring th summer we like to leave the sliding door open do then can go in and out as the please. This will be my first summer with the tank and I'm thinking cost wise it will be cheaper to get a chiller and for peace of mind. I don't want to be worried my fish are going to die all the time because I want to let my dogs in and out.

Sounds like a chiller is a wise investment for that scenario. Look on Craigslist and try to purchase before it starts to get too hot. Prices seem to rise with the temperature. :)

Do you have any brands or models that you like better then another? It should I e shopping for the best price to meet the needs of my tank?

I like my JBJ and had seen good reviews on them. This is my first chiller, so i honestly do not know much about brands. Ive never lived anywhere where I needed one before moving to the desert. :)

Back
Top Bottom