choose between these skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to buy a skimmer for my first setup, which is gonna be a 30gallon long tank (I know this is a smaller tank for a SW setup...but I need to keep it inexpensive since it's my first attempt). This tank will start as FOWLR, but I plan to add corals after a few months (once i have the fish care and water changes down). I'll put 2x96w PC's over the tank, with the shallow depth that should be enough light for inverts...right?

Anyhow...I was gonna get a SeaClone 100, but i'm hearing they are no good. Everyone says "get a Prizm".

They also say the AquaC Remora is good, but all the online sites for those are $160+ (big al's doesn't carry em).

Post you opinions.

Quick update - just brought home a 40 gallon breeder...if that has any bearing upon your reply to my question :)

That should be plenty light for anything you might want to add later.

Everyone here will tell you to get the Remora and that the Prizm is useless, but since you're on a tight budget I'm gonna suggest a Prizm Pro. We don't seem to get the Remoras here in UK and I'm sure it's a very good skimmer, but I personally have had good luck with a Prizm and it's a fraction of the price.

I use a Sea Clone skimmer. Once you get it dialed in it works just fine. Mine continues to make "coffee" on a regular basis. The only time it's not making "coffee" is after I clean it and it akes about a week to get it all set to go again. Usually I just dump the cup. Every 2 months I clean it completely.

Hope this helps. I really think that most people don't like the Sea Clone because it is so difficult to dial it in. Once it's set, it seems to work just like the rest. It is cheaper than most, that may be the reason also. But if you are on a budget and you got the time to play with the settings, it will work.

Mike

The Remora is far superior to either the Seaclone or the Prizm. The reason you always find it for about the same price is that Aqua C enforces their retail pricing. You can sell it for more, but not less. My experience with Seaclones is, as mentioned above, they are diffcult to dial in and I don't like the fact that they have plumbing with connectors outside the tank...recipe for a leak someday. My experience with the Prizm Pro is that it is also difficult to adjust, requires frequent adjustment, and is prone to put water in the floor from the seal on the collection cup. My first choice, obviously, is the Remora. Second would be a Prizm. Seaclone would be last. The regular Prizm doesn't seem to suffer from the adjustment problems of the Pro, but a 40 gal tank is a bit too large for it IMO.

I don't like the fact that they have plumbing with connectors outside the tank...recipe for a leak someday.

Exactly...Word of warning, any skimmer like Jebo & Seaclone with airline intake will clog up and flood in time, what happens is without the air pressure, water is pumped straight up into the cup at a high rate, then overflows out the back and your tank will lose 3-4in of water onto the floor...happened to me 3 times in 5 months and a soaking wet floor is no fun mate. I would not consider one unless going into a sump where it can leak all it wants!

Ok, so I'm leaning towards the Prizm line. I know someone said the normal prizm wasn't big enough for a 40g breeder, but it says it's good for 100gallons.

Is the prizm pretty reliable? I don't mine having to retweak it after a cleaning...but the cheapest prizm pro is $155 at big al's.
I know SW isn't cheap...but knowing LR is gonna be $5-$6 a pound, and that I need 30-40 lbs...and my lights will push $200 for ballast & bulbs...

I'm just trying to get what I need, and not go overboard on the 'best' equipment, when there's fully functional, safe, equipment for a lesser price.
If the prizm won't leak liek the sea clone and JBJ...then that's what I need. So does prizm leak the same way due to plumbing? cuz i won't have a sump/refugiem for a while.

Sorry I meant Prizm Deluxe not pro... and no it's never leaked for me.

I have a Prizm Delux and it does take some time to tweak. Once it has ran in, it should do the job. Although I found the surface skimmer that comes with the delux is absolutely useless.

If you are going to spend $155 on the prizm pro spend a litle more and get the Remora; you will be happy you did. With your 6% discount the Remora would be $154.11. I did send you a PM about a used prizm I have as well.

Ok, it sounds like there are 3 prizm models...the 'plain' Prizm, http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22447;category_id=3203;pcid1=;pcid2=

the prizm Deluxe
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29083;category_id=3047;pcid1=3203;pcid2=

and the Prizm Pro Deluxe
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22449;category_id=3203;pcid1=;pcid2=

what I seem to be hearing is the plain Prizm (even though it's rated for 100gallons) is too small for a 40 breeder...and the Pro Deluxe takes a lot of tweaking to get it working.
I didn't realize there was a deluxe model inbetween the two. It sounds like this is probably the one I want...which balances a decent skimmer with a capacity suited to a 40 gallon..right?

If so, I'll be ordering it, some power heads (maxi-jet) and a few other things from Big Als this afternoon.

p.s. thanks for your patience and opinions. I know I can be a pain in the butt sometimes :)

My Prizm leaked, and so I just bought a Remora (haven't set it up yet). Based on my experience, consider avoiding the Prizm.

Too late, it's been ordered. Prizm Deluxe.
I've had about 50/50 response on the prizm series, so I figure it functions, but like anything, sometimes it goes wrong.

hopefully my choice won't come back to bite me on the rump

Back
Top Bottom