Choosing new live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saywill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need to add some live rock to my set up. Does anyone have some suggestions on what to look for at the local fish store?

lfs live rock can be hit or miss when it comes to quality but generally I'd look for porous live rock preferably with a little color.

www.liveaquaria.com & www.about.com have good articles on the different types of live rock and what to look for.

When I buy mine I try to look for different shapes and sizes that I can make caves and tunnels for the fish and shelves for the corals. I also look for LR with mediun holes in it so the inhabitants can hide. As Micah said you`ll want to get LR that is pourus so as to have more surface area for the nitrifying bacteria to live on.

saywill said:
I need to add some live rock to my set up. Does anyone have some suggestions on what to look for at the local fish store?

If you are looking for an affordable option online, I got about half my live rock from this web site. You can specify what shapes, sizes, colors, etc you want. I was so happy with the pieces they sent! They were covered in sponges and other life which I unfortunately had to brush off... but they may regrow eventually. If you decide to go with this web site, don't worry about purchasing during their "sale"... it's always going.

You should envision what you want your tank to look like and go to your LFS and start handpicking your rock. As you put it in your tank you can get a feel of what you want it to look like. Just a thought. Dont just buy 100lbs of rock and not know what it looks like.

It really depends on the condition of hte LR you have in your tank currently. Most LFS around me sell "LR" with no color or visable life on it for $7-9/lb. It you have plenty of live and thriving coraline on your current LR then you may be able to get by with something like this. Otherwise, look for some Fiji with good coraline or find a source for some aqua-cultured carribean LR that comes loaded with life.

Back
Top Bottom