Cilbanarius tricolor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldmachineUK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

Could anyone tell me whether dwarf blue legged hermit crabs (Cilbanarius tricolor) are fully aquatic, or if they are semi-aquatic?
Also, what S.G. are they best kept at?

TIA!

Wow, quick reply! Thanks!
Useful info from that site, thanks for posting the link (I got the S.G. noted down now).
Yep, my question really is: are these crabs ok to live fully submerged, or will they need a shelf/ledge to get out of the water for air like semi-aquatic crabs do?

I imagine some hermits can live in both, you can see them at the beach, but I can't recall which ones. Basically, the ones from that site are meant for underwater.

Thanks for the info! I have one more question: how low can the S.G. go for blue legged hermits? I.e. can they adjust to lower levels of salinity if acclimatised?
I know inverts are particularly sensitive (or stubborn, however you look at it!) when it comes to salinity.

I keep my 55G FOWLR at 1.020. I don't know that I would go any lower. What level are you thinking?

Uh-oh, I knew it would be higher than I was planning. I was aiming for brackish rather than marine, so I'll be having a rethink!

You may want to check in the brackish section. I'm sure there are some folks that will be able to help.....

Thanks. The tank I'll be running will start off brackish, and then will gradually be upped from that to high end brackish and eventually to low end marine. But, it seems I'm best waiting on adding these guys until the end if I decide to go with them :)

I wouldn't put them in a brackish set up, wait until you get the tank full marine. :)

Oh, I know you are planning a puffer tank. Wont he eat them? Thought they like shell dwelling critters?

Hey DT! Yes, I'm still torn on inhabitants, I'm having a real mind boggling research adventure on the whole thing. I have kept F8s before, but not a GSP. The initial plan for the 36G was to keep a GSP on its own. But there's the option of testing hermit crabs with that, since they're both full marine (well the GSP would be eventually), but by 'full marine' we're talking 1.015 really, which is below seawater (which is about 1.025+, I think). So it'd still be lower than normal for the hermits.
The initial worry would be that the GSP would eat them, yes. But, pufferpunk over at the Puffer Forum has kept hermits with an adult GSP before for around a year, by providing lots of shells. It also depends on the puffer's personality. This is the problem with keeping puffers in general!!! Some people manage to keep BBGs and mollies with them, while other people have had problems. I suppose I won't know unless I try... :(

Another option is to keep two F8s, and possibly go with a pair of orange chromide cichlids as well. This setup would remain low end brackish. Though, I now read conflicting advice about F8s being freshwater in fact (fishbase.org specifically states "not a brackish species").
Now, in this setup the S.G. would be around 1.005, which is very weak brackish. So, I have the "hermit dilemma" of: GSP (more aggressive, more likely to eat them, but same S.G. or thereabouts) vs. F8 (less aggressive, probably won't touch them, but far lower S.G.).
Arrrgghhhh!
And, I know with inverts it's extremely difficult if not impossible to acclimatise them to conditions any different to their usual habitat, to top it off!

I really need something to till the sand that's going to be in the tank either way. Snails are likely to be eaten if they're small enough, though my previous F8 used to leave larger ones alone. So, snails are out. I can't use MTS because they can break a puffer's beak. Kuhli loaches would make a nice snack I bet, so they're out too. So, that's why my thinking led me down the path of the hermits!

If hermits can be adapted :)S almost certainly not, I know) to a lower S.G. then with F8s I doubt there'd be any problems. It's a question of salinity though. With a GSP it'd be a question of ensuring the hermits could remain undetected for as long as possible, introducing them with a very young puffer, and hoping that the puffer's personality is less aggressive than normal. Bit more risky.

All in all the best option is probably not to go with hermits! But, then my question is: what else is there to till the sand?!

Well, to put your mind at ease, hermits don't really till the sand, at least not in my tank. Maybe check into snails.

I don't think you have many options at all with a low end marine tank like that. The only other thing I would consider as a sand tilling option would be nassarius snails. They usually hide UNDER the sand all day long then come out at feeding time. Well hidden from your puffer. Maybe feed right before lights out to give them a chance to escape the puffer. Good sand sifters and hiders. It's really cool to watch them poke up out of the sand all at once when you feed too. Comical things like that make me like them even more. Hah.

I've looked into those nassarius vibex snails like you suggested and they're quite cool looking/sounding. But, will they be ok in a low-end S.G. setup of around 1.005? I'm thinking not...but I wanted to check!
I'm confused about where to post, in case it's not already obvious lol. Puffers are awkward, and the FW/Brackish section doesnt seem to have many brackish experts. I'm going on the thought that nassarius are usually marine, as are hermits, hence posting here. Can nassarius be acclimated to 1.005?

Hey coldmachine. I doubt it. I was reccomending them more for when you got your tank full marine.

I don't know of any brackish water inverts you could try except some brackish raised nerite snails... Sorry. Try posting in thw brackish area anyways, there are a few "inbetweeners" over there. :)

Sorry I can't help you more.

Yeah, I have nbeen looking into brackish inverts. There have to be some, how about a black mystery snail..I think I read that somewhere, but could be wrong! Maybe some one here, that lives near a FW river and the ocean can run out and check what kind of snails are out there!

Back
Top Bottom