Circulation pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The reason why I'm asking is because I have a 60 gallon rec tank that I set up just last week but the circulation pump I have keeps picking up sand( sugar fine live sand) and I don't know what to do. The ghp is around 750 on it. Right now I have it near the surface blowing up

If adjusted properly you shouldnt be getting any sand blowing around. I'd try to aim them upwards and towards the front glass, have the waterflow from each collide at a point adn it should cause a nice chaotic flow. :)

Welcome tot he forum by the way!!

I only have one right now because that is what was included in the deal. I can't really afford the other one right now. If I only have one, where would u suggest I put it?

I would place it on the opposite side of the return line/filter output. You want as much flow as you can get. You don't want any dead spots on the sandbed where stuff can accumulate.

You can get some pretty cheap powerheads, $30 or less on ebay. :-D

That is good to know. I'm a college kid so money isn't exactly flowing right now but thanks for the info. I know that in the cycle of a new tank there is supposed to be an ammonia spike. How big of a spike should I be looking for? I tested it today after it has been up for about a week and the ammonia level was between 0.25-0.50.

Ok cool, thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Two for $28 or $28/each? Just curious?

NEW TWO 800GPH WAVE MAKER FISH PUMP AQUARIUM TANK POWERHEAD SUCTION CUP MOUNT
Expedited shipping available

Returns: Accepted within 30 days

s.gif
Buy It Now$29.99
Free shipping
Time left:4d 9h

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't buy those powerheads. They attach by a suction cup only and ask anyone whose ever had one fall will tell you what a disaster it was.

Spend the $32 each and buy koralia evo 750's. They are great pumps and you won't regret it!

Ya, thanks. I wouldn't trust suction cups alone. Disaster waiting to happen.

Just curious what was the disaster that occured from them falling since theres a cord attached to them

Well, it could fall on a fish or a coral and it would still be running so it could do some damage to either. Plus you have to come home and then go fishing for the silly thing. Probably mound of sand and might even burn the pump out depending on how it falls.

Gah! You guys are freaking me out. I wanted to get Koralia's but the LFS was out. So I settled for Maxi-Jet's since they were also recommended by Stocking List Sticky here.

Even when putting them up I can tell the way they connected to the suction cups is crappy. I hope they don't crash while I'm away...any ideas on how I can improve them? Super glue?

maybe run the cord tight against the back of the tank and put a piece of duck tape on the cord so that if it falls it just hangs by the cord? i've never done that but its a thought lol

not a bad idea...now I'm just freaked because I won't be back until 3/2! Haha I have my roommate checking on it as much as possible. Luckily its just cycling so no fish or coral.

I'll have to check it out when i get back. I just ordered the Koralia's online though :p

I believe there are magnets that are pre-coated to be aquarium safe that you can glue to the maxijet and then have the other on the outside, or use the maxijet for an ATO or reactor pump and get on Amazon and buy the koralias anyway. Nothing wrong with upgrading.

I just upgraded from the koralias to Vortech MP10's.

It's cheap insurance. Even if it doesnt fall directly on fish / coral - if it points downward, your sandbed is toast and all your rocks and corals will be covered in sand.

I will admit I'm not one to buy on the cheap, but for a nice SW tank, $65 for new PH's shouldn't even make you flinch!

Good luck whatever you do!

Back
Top Bottom