Clean up crew!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FloridaNewbie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Oh so i got about 4 astrea snails and they have been doing a great job on my diaton(brown stuff, don't know how to spell it) on the lr, but they don't even bother going in the sand unless they are moving from the wall of the tank to the lr. Is this normal ?? i want something to help move substrate around. Any ideas ?? SOmething compatible with a yellow watchman which i am getting this weekend.

Also, is ok for the snails to be all over my heater and powerhead( they won't get sucked in because i have stuff to protect it)

Thanks
Leo

Astraea snails in my experience are great for cleaning the glass but that is about it. One of the best sand sifting inverts imo and ime would be Nassarius snails which are great at sifting sand as well as consuming detritus.

Yes it is perfectly fine for snails to move across your heater and powerheads. However make sure that the powerheads have strainers to prevent any inverts or fish from getting sucked in.

Astraea snails don't usually go on the sand. They refer a hard substrate like rock or glass. In addition to the Nassarius (by the way, get true Nassarius, not Ilynassa), Cerith snails make great additions.

In addition to the Nassarius (by the way, get true Nassarius, not Ilynassa),

Nothing more true. The Llynassa snails are pretty worthless. A coldwater species that doesn't really last long in our tanks we keep. True nassarius snails are very, very cool critters.

Some conchs are great for sand sifting. I have cerith and nassis, and bumblebees (I didn't know they are carnivours)., and a queen conch.

Back
Top Bottom