Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

What eats the detritus?

Old 02-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d
All packages from all retailers are meant for fully stocked tanks, not tanks just starting out. When I said to contact the site I meant that literally. Leave a message for John Maloney, or PM here with your tank details and what you are looking for. Though that package isn't bad for a 38 once it's stocked and running.

The problem is that you need to start small and build up as you add to the bioload. Shipping costs will get you going that way. So it may make sense to start with a larger than needed CUC knowing you will need to feed the CUC till the bioload increases.

Peppermint and other shrimp are great for clean up crews (left over food). They are about the only thing with claws that I allow in my tank these days.
Thanks I was just wondering . I will definitely have to PM him.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharklover View Post
You should get some hermits and snails
From my understanding, this can become problematic when the hermits decide to up and move house and go hunting for a new shell, no? I have a CUC (from Reef Cleaners) that includes dwarf ceriths and nassaurius (I'm pretty sure hermit crabs wouldn't take on the nerites or ceriths, maybe they would...), but I'm cautious about mixing in some hermit crabs. Sure, you can throw in some empty shells, but how do the hermits know which ones are empty without poking around and deciding they've already found one, just needs to get this living snail out...? Blue and red legged hermit crabs do look pretty cool, but I thought you should have either/or - either a CUC of crabs or a CUC of snails.
fouldsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Hermits can and will kill most any snail. It doesn't matter if you have empty shells or not. They simply kill snails from instinct.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's what I figured, thanks. I just wanted to get clarification so the OP is aware to stick to one CUC line-up or another. And to make sure I'm right in keeping hermits outta my tank
fouldsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just started my clean up crew for my 38g , right now I have 6 asteras snails and a peppermint shrimp. Will I have to get empty shells for the snails? Do they grow out of them like hermits?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

No snails grow there shell

Tags
clean, clean up crew

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com