Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Clean up crew advice.

Hello, right now my tank is in the beginning stages of the nitrogen cycle. I am looking for advice on enlisting a good clean up crew. I am thinking, a peppermint shrimp, a skunk(doctor)shrimp, and a tiger striped conch should do the trick. Let me know what ya think and what kind of clean up crew you have. In my tank I plan on getting a Clownfish and possibly a Mandarin Goby.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You should get some hermits and snails

Old 02-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I hope you plan on getting the mandarin well down the road? They are very difficult to keep and need lots of pods to eat (which will not be plentiful in a new tank). I agree with some snails and hermits too.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdub
I hope you plan on getting the mandarin well down the road? They are very difficult to keep and need lots of pods to eat (which will not be plentiful in a new tank). I agree with some snails and hermits too.
Yeah that is what I have heard. The mandarin is the fish my wife wants. What would be a great starter fish to go along with a clownfish.
Also about how many snails would u get for a 38 gallon tank?
Old 02-25-2012, 03:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownfish25

Yeah that is what I have heard. The mandarin is the fish my wife wants. What would be a great starter fish to go along with a clownfish.
Also about how many snails would u get for a 38 gallon tank?
Is a tiger striped conch a good clean up crew member?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

You might want to check with Reef Cleaners, one of our sponsor about a proper clean up crew.

IMO, mandarins don't belong in a 38 gallon aquarium due to their feeding requirements. However, in the past couple of years ORA has been selling captive raised Mandarins trained to eat prepared frozen food, so some folks are successfully keeping them in smaller tanks. They are still considered an expert-only fish.

Good luck with the tank.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d
You might want to check with Reef Cleaners, one of our sponsor about a proper clean up crew.

IMO, mandarins don't belong in a 38 gallon aquarium due to their feeding requirements. However, in the past couple of years ORA has been selling captive raised Mandarins trained to eat prepared frozen food, so some folks are successfully keeping them in smaller tanks. They are still considered an expert-only fish.

Good luck with the tank.
Thanks, I checked that website they recommended

30 Dwarf Ceriths - small effective cleaners
11 Nassarius
12 Florida Ceriths
2 Assorted Smaller Conchs, (Bear, Tiger, etc..)
3 Banded Trochus
4 Large Nerite and 7 Small to medium Nerites

That seems like a lot do I really need that many?
Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Way to much. They just want you to buy more, that is just a joke in my opinion. 30 g right? Somewhere around there? Anyways, get like 10-15 snails and 10-15 hermits and call it a day. Get crabs and shrimp if you want but they are more for looking at then they are for cleaning algea
Old 02-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah reef cleaners gave me a preposterous number for my 55g CUC it's a sales technique to get you to believe it and buy more.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

All packages from all retailers are meant for fully stocked tanks, not tanks just starting out. When I said to contact the site I meant that literally. Leave a message for John Maloney, or PM here with your tank details and what you are looking for. Though that package isn't bad for a 38 once it's stocked and running.

The problem is that you need to start small and build up as you add to the bioload. Shipping costs will get you going that way. So it may make sense to start with a larger than needed CUC knowing you will need to feed the CUC till the bioload increases.

Peppermint and other shrimp are great for clean up crews (left over food). They are about the only thing with claws that I allow in my tank these days.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, clean up crew

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com