Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

clean up crew question

Today I bought a blue-eyed hermit crab, two nassarius snails, and a camel shrimp from lfs. I'm really loving the hermit crab and one of the snails who are just wandering the place but the other one just buried himself about 7 hours ago and hasn't come up since? Is that normal? Also the camel shrimp has just been perched under an overhang of lr for the same time duration; again, is that normal?

Old 04-02-2011, 02:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just bought 4 peppermint shrimp yesterday and all they do is perch and sway. lol I would give the crew a chance to adjust, they should be fine.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:16 AM   #3

haha ok cool thanks, so I fed everyone and turned the lights out about 10 minutes ago, I just came back opened the door to let some light in and creeped in, and the shrimp is actually moving! AND I just discovered a crab like the non-hermit kind, that I've never seen in my tank before wow looking into your tank at night is very interesting lol
Old 04-02-2011, 02:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nassarius burrow under the sand and come up only for food, they keep the sand mixed up to prevent gas pockets and help keep the surface of the sand bed clean of any uneaten food. You may want to grab more of them to be really effective. You may also want to grab a nother hermit or two and some astrea snails to keep the glass and rock clean. Snails do a better job than hermits IMO. You should also keep a few extra empty shells in the tank for the hermits in case they want a new shell since nassarius snails tended to be prime targets when the hermits wanted a new shell IME.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I sit for hours and do that. LOL

have a good night.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Click the link in my signature to ID the crab, you might need to get rid of it if you want coral and/or other inverts to be safe.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thominil
Nassarius burrow under the sand and come up only for food, they keep the sand mixed up to prevent gas pockets and help keep the surface of the sand bed clean of any uneaten food. You may want to grab more of them to be really effective. You may also want to grab a nother hermit or two and some astrea snails to keep the glass and rock clean. Snails do a better job than hermits IMO. You should also keep a few extra empty shells in the tank for the hermits in case they want a new shell since nassarius snails tended to be prime targets when the hermits wanted a new shell IME.
Yeah tbh these are my first clean up crew guys ever (sad I know) so I just wanted to try and see how things went before I went all out. But I'm already loving them and am planning to get more snails and possibly another hermit or two this wednesday Yes I've heard about the whole hermits taxing the snail's shells dw I'm providing extra shells.
Anyway thank you for your informative answer, I was just wondering about the snail because the other one has moved several times burying himself, going for a stroll, and burying himself again.
And about the random crab no worries my tank is fowlr

thanks again to both of you and goodnight
Old 04-03-2011, 06:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

have just joined this site having fun looking around it.Have 2 cleaner shrimps in my 180L FoWLR system and i went to look in my tank today and i thought they were both dead?? But no they both have shed their skin at the same time,is it normal they both look happy (not that they smiling or anything ha ha)but it is very weird too see.thanks
Old 04-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i got a couple nassarius snails a few days ago i can watch them for hours i love how they just pop out of the sand its fun
Old 04-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh so snails can/do bury themselves?
I bought a turbo snail today and haven't seen him since I acclimated him into the water. Not even the shell.
I have gravel though.
He's probably cleaning one of the undersides of my rocks :P

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, clean up crew

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com