Cleaner Shrimp Shed Skin?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

possolutions

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I walked in this morning and my cleaner shrimps skin is off!! Is this normal? the guy at my LFS didnt mention anything about this. It looks like the shrimp is ok but he shed like a snake sheds its skin. Any input?

I've always heard this process called "molting" and it is normal, and to be expected.

The shrimp is a little vulnerable right now, so expect to see it hiding more then usual. .

Assuming the shrimp has a decent diet and acceptable water parameters, normal behavior should return after a couple of hours.

Leaf is right. The first time I saw it, I was sure the shrimp had died. If you have larger hermit crabs, they will molt also.

Each shrimp is different but mine molt about every 4-5 weeks.

You can, but it will probably be eaten by your cleanup crew if you leave it. It provides good nutrients for other crustaceans. I only occasionally saw the molt as my hermits would take care of it quickly.

It gives me the creepy-crawlies but I manage to just leave it in the tank (most of the time) and as mentioned above....it does have some nutrients for the other critters in the tank.

hehehe...I went to remove what I thought was my dead Sally Lightfoot and it just disintegrated as soon as i touched it. Scared the crap outta me because "Mator", my clown decided to tag me at the same time. Just a molt. Needless to say, all parts seemed to have gotten eaten by the clean up crew. No worries!

Keep in mind hermits and lobsters and crabs also molt. The hermit's molt looks the most like the real thing.

Back
Top Bottom