Cleaning crew suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GatorDrew

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am having the hardest problem keeping my live rock, tank, and sand clean. It's a seemingly impossible task right now.

First, I had some sand shifting snails and turbo snails. I then got a hermit crab - bad decision. I woke up the next morning and all my sand shifting snails were killed. I returned the hermit crab.

I got some small snails that stay on top of the sand and clean the substrate a bit. However, it looks like now my puffer fish is going around and eating them up. As far as the turbo snails go, he goes around and nocks them down. He really hasn't been successful in eating the turbos, as it appears that hide pretty far back in their shell.

So... I need some suggestions. I need something that can clean the sand and keep my rocks and glass clean.

In the tank right now, there is a green wolf eel, panther grouper, lion fish, and, as said, a stars & stripes puffer.

I need some help. Please give me some suggestions and some place where I can pick them up online.

PS: My LFS told me that there's a fish that goes around the sand, puts sand in his mouth and spits the sand back out. Sounds interesting... but will it work?

That's the downfall of keeping preditors. Your very limited on cleanup crew and will have to do alot of replacing as well as manual cleaning. That small fish that sifts sand would no doubt be eaten by one of the larger fish so I wouldn't suggest it. Magfloat works well for cleaning your glass.

Well, the LFS said they have those sand shifting snails in larger sizes on Tuesdays.... he said around 5-6". I think I'll give them a shot... what do you think?

Sorry... the sand shifting fish. What's their name anyways? LOL

I believe that's it.

While on the topic, would Urchins survive in this tank?

BTW -

I'm just looking at saltwaterfish.com. I'm liking the Cerith Snails, Mouse Cowrie, Nassarius Snail... and maybe some turbos.

Otherwise, I'm looking for alternative options... I clicked on Urchins... they seemed pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom