cleaning Drums to mix saltwater!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heera

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone,
Plz help on how to clean to make it safe enough to mix saltwater.

-5 gallon container which had vegetable oil in it before
-10 gallon which had windshield cleaner In it.

Help on what i could use to clean them.

Thanks for your input in advance....

Personally, I would just buy new ones and be done with it, they are cheap enough as it is.

The vegetable oil container is probably the safest one if you manage to get all the oil out.

I wouldn't even bother trying to use the windshield cleaner container.

Thanks, Aaronalam.

I did clean the oil one with alot of vinegar and hot water. I think it is clean now.

I will fill with water and let it sit too see if any oil drops appear, if do gotta clean again

Can I use anything stronger than vinegar...

Not sure where your from but lowes sells 5 gallon buckets for 2.50

I would NEVER use anything already used by something to mix my saltwater.. further more I would never mix the salt water of my worst enemy in a car windshield container.

Thanks Jsmith, I am in canada.
Only reason I wanted to try them was because they have cap on them. Didn't want container open from top. That's all.

Heera said:
Thanks Jsmith, I am in canada.
Only reason I wanted to try them was because they have cap on them. Didn't want container open from top. That's all.

In that case head to walmart that sell 5 and 10 gallon water containers for camping made from food grade plastics .. mine cost only 11 bucks .. however what I did was pick up a tote ( like a 20 gallon) from walmart the ones u store stuff in made from hdpe/ ldpe ( just don't but one made from recycled material) mix up a big patch and buy a really cheap power head and heater.. i paid 8 bucks for tote. 7 for heater and 8 for a small powerhead.. I can mix up plenty of water and can let it set for a week.

If your looking to save money on heater and power head check criags list or see what they have on sale at a petco or petsmart.

Thanks everyone for the reply! Just got a new container from Wallmart 19$ here. And heater and powerheads are on craiglist for atleast 20$ each. I will try stores. Thanks again

Someone on another thread suggested Rubbermaid Brute trash can. I bought a 32 gallon and it has a lid. Works great.

FlopNewsom said:
Someone on another thread suggested Rubbermaid Brute trash can. I bought a 32 gallon and it has a lid. Works great.

How long have you been using it? Problem is s majority of trash cans are made using recycled plastic which is made from recycled detergent bottles I would worry about it leeching.

Im stopping at lowes on way home.. I belive the brute ones are ok.. its the ones on wheels that are usally black ir green in color that are the ones I wouldn't use. The give away is usally the scent it self. When plastic is recycled its never for say washed out its put through a process called repeletization which pretty much means its melted down using a machine called an extruder and ran through water which isn't clean either so that it can be put back in to pellets so it can be used again.or sometime just ground up put through an extruder or molding process to make differnt part or same..

I have heard of phosphates leaching with some but this was the one they were having good luck with. I've had some water sitting in it for a week and I'm going to test it tonight. I'll post results.

I read somewhere online that if u should age the water for 7 days for PWC's before adding to tank.
That this process will get rid of chlorine, chlorite and phosphates.

Heera said:
I read somewhere online that if u should age the water for 7 days for PWC's before adding to tank.
That this process will get rid of chlorine, chlorite and phosphates.

The clorine yes... the phosphates I don't belive so..

Phosphates were 0.5 after 7days of sitting in the can. I think I won't let the water stay in there so long next time.

Back
Top Bottom