cleaning glass exterior of salt-water aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
you can laugh at me, but it seems that i can not successfully clean the outside glass of the saltwater tanks at my work, only because the saltwater that drips on the glass does not seem to come off

how do you guys solve that problem?

Yeah that is what I do also. I use regular tap water along with a clean paper towel.

a damp cloth seems to work fine and then a dry paper towel to get those little beads of water

hmm. i've tried all of those already. i try to wipe it off and it just keeps leaving huge smear marks all over the glass

I would be very carefull of using Windex, I believe it has ammonia in it. How about vinegar/water mix. I am kind of wondering how you still have smear marks. Are you sure it is not calcium or lime? The reason I ask is, I have well water and noticed the same thing on mine, it comes off with vinegar/water.

Devilishturtles said:
I always have smear marks too. Wipe with a dry cloth, vigorously sometimes, and they will come off.
You are on well water too...right? I was wondering what your Ca reading is. Mine is off the chart, over 500.

If you do use windex spray it on the cloth in another room and then wipe the outside glass. Never spray it on your glass.

if you really don't mind spending $8 bucks for special spray or wipes, your local lfs should have special wipes and sprays for the outside and even inside of the tank( though i would not recommended it) I did spend the Money and it really worked!! So try it!

plain water on a scrubber (we use scrub and toss cut in to 6 pieces ) wipe the tank with the blue side (only on glass it may scratch acrylic)then use a squeegee drying with a paper towel in between strokes ... then ....polish with crumpled news paper ....
or if you want to use windex use a windex wipe with the amonia on them dollar store sells them too. If they dry out rewet by pouring in another cup full of windex..... use great care not to get in your tank... wash hands very well after wards as well

i know that when i get a little extra bit of time, i take just a plain dry tissue, and i basically rub the smears out. like i said, it takes a little extra time, but it works really well. i get smear marks all the time because my little girl likes to touch the glass. anyways, that may work for you.

I like to use pillow cases and windex. for some reason, pillow cases do not smear (maybe its a cottom thing) and yeild good results. just make sure you do not spray the glass cleaner around the tank. Spray the pillow case away from the tank to get it wet and then clean the glass with it.

Back
Top Bottom