Cleaning up left over food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best thing would be to siphon it up with a hose. You really want to make sure you under feed than overfeed. Overfeeding can cause excessive nutrients which will cause lots of nuisance algea and tank crashes. I would only feed enough that your fish will consume in two minutes. That`s what I do and I feed every other day.

I have two ocellaris clowns just got them yesterday. Feeding flake food. One is a reef mix the other was a formula 2 or something would have to check exact names when I get home

How is your water circulation? Do you have 2 powerheads? The flow of the water should keep any leftover food from settling on the sandbed and keep it suspended so that the filtration can filter it out.

I only have one power head. Wish I lived close enough to see how you set your tank up and watch how your fish act to know what to expect. These are the 1st two fish I have ever had, not sure what is normal or abnormal

How big is the tank by the way? If it's small enough a single power head might be fine, but I tend to have better luck with 2 in a tank usually. :)

It is a 75 gallon. I have a second one but somehow water was traveling up the cord and down onto the cabinet bottom on my stand so I unhooked it

i would for sure try to add that powerhead then, a 75 is gonna need more flow than the one can provide.

What brand and type of powehead did you have that was dripping water down the cord? If you place the PH further down on the tank wall is shouldnt be able to go UP the cord and then down. lol

I understand what u r saying about the water going up the cord and back down and I thought the same thing but it did it. I will put it back in and see. It's a maxi jet 1200. What members of a clean up crew would eat the left over food?

Ahh the maxijet.... Those are mounted from the tank rim aren't they? That might be why the water is going down the cord, those aren't very adjustable. Do you have a way to hang it further down in the tank? maybe some suction cups or something the MJ came with?

I exclusively use Koralias cause of the adjustability, the magnet suction cup way it attaches to the tank wall and well, cause they have never failed me and are super powerheads for the price. :)

Came with a big magnet I can put it where ever I want. Had it bout halfway down the side. If I don't get it just roughy it blows the sand off some spots and I can see the glass bottom

I usually point my powerheads a bit upwards and towards the front glass. That way both flows collide and the flow is chaotic and will move things around like the leftover food. :)

Pointing it upwards can help keep your ph stable as well.

My clowns wouldn't eat at first either. I started soaking their food in garlic guard they loved it. I also feed frozed Limpids reef mix.Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom