Cleanup crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psilletti

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon Fowlr tank 2 months in with just 2 shrimp 3 hermit crabs and a couple snails.Algae starting to buildup ,how big a cleanup crew do i need?How many and what type?Also have2 clownfish in the QT ready to go in Dt

A clean up crew won’t solve the algae issue. Weekly water changes with ro/di water will manage things from getting out of control.
That said,I’m a fan of having an urchin in my systems to help with things.

You're probaly over feeding and using the wrong water to make new water for the tank. So... how often do you change water? What do you make it with? What do you feed and how often?

I have a Ro/DI system have been using this w ater from the beginning and for water changes every 3 weeks.Only feed a couple small mysis shrimp once a day.Parameters are Am 0,nitrite 0,nitrates 10 ,sp gr 1.023,ph8.Algae is not out of control just the usual and a little brown on the sand.I thought more snails and crabs might help.Thanks for the comments and help.

Also i have a Remora C HO protein skimmer that is not producing anything in the cup.seems to be working bit just small little bubbles coming out,its the venturi type.

The nutrients going into the system just aren't being removed. Keep giving minor adjustments to the skimmer until the bubbles are popping just before the collection cup. Do it over a couple days so it can adjust itself correctly.
As for the water changes, you should increase those. It should be 10% weekly, but with the nutrients not being exported I'd do larger water changes to get things in line.

Also i have a Remora C HO protein skimmer that is not producing anything in the cup.seems to be working bit just small little bubbles coming out,its the venturi type.
There is nothing coming into the cup,the manufacturer told me to try putting water conditioner in thetank but that didnt help,any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom