Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cleanup crew suggestions

I'm just starting out into the world of saltwater and I would like a suggestion for what I will need for a cleanup crew in my tank. It will be a 40g/20g sump, I have 30 lbs of live sand and 30 lbs of cured live rock. How many snails/hermits and what types or what would you suggest? I live a very long distance away from the fish store (300 miles), so my plan is to get at least a partial cleanup crew just to start out, set it up and let the tank finish cycling or whatever it's going to do with the live rock/sand, then in a month or so get some more cleanup crew if needed, and a fish maybe, if all seems well by that time. Then later on, more fish, perhaps. No corals in this tank, I only have about 2 wpg of T12's (60 watts ODNO 2x) and I'm using well water with very high alkalinity, so corals are out, for now. Also, if there is no algae to eat at first, can I feed the cleanup crew algae wafers?

Old 09-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
you should wait to add any of the crew until the cycle is finished. many people stay away from hermits cuz they have a habbit of killing snails for their shells. some snails and a shrimp or 2 would be a nice start.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #3

Well the rock is cured, has been for a while, but I can't actually set up the tank until I go to the pet store and buy a new one (long story, broke the old tank). Such being 300 miles away. But what I was planning on doing was setting up a 10g temporarily (or I do have a 20 as well, but with no lid) to house the cleanup crew, using a filter pad that removes ammonia on it, and doing lots of water changes, until the main tank is ready. I don't think I'll see much of a cycle in the main tank anyway, the rock has been curing now for three months and has no ammonia/nitrite readings at this point. The only difference is that I'll have the sand in there, and it will physically be in a different tank.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your LFS is 300 miles I would order everything online much easier. I have a 46g with 20g sump. my cleanup crew is pretty simple I figure using RO/DI water and keeping up on maintenance is a better alternative to a huge cleanup crew. I have 2 Turbo snails about 5 astrea and I added 12 nassarius and they seem to have multiplyed I have a bunch now. That and my fighting conch and thats it except for my pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimp starfish and sand sifting goby.

I would start with just 1 turbo and maybe like 3 astrea and go from there slowly as time pushes along.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #5

Shipping starts at $65, not including cost of livestock, and I have to drive 50 miles to pick it up at the airport. I have to drive in to town anyway, so it's not a big deal, just want to make sure that I do get what I want and don't mess up. Something that multiplies is great, livestock is expensive here too.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
where r u?
Old 09-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You do need to go light on the clean up crew at the beginning once your tank is cycled and stable. There wont be much for them to eat and you can build up as you go.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #8

Ok. So how about a few nassarius snails and a couple of astrea? Will they eat algae wafers?
Old 09-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Sounds good but it`s best to let them do their job as a clean up crew. After you cycle the tank you`ll have some algea and diatoms that they will be able to eat.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #10

Yeah, I'm just thinking, it might be a few days before algae starts appearing.

Tags
clean, cleanup, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com