Clicking in my tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had one hitch a ride in long time ago. Kept hearing it & finally one evening I saw a flash of movement on a piece of live rock so I reached in and yanked that rock out, smashed it with a hammer & caught the mantis shrimp. Took me like three months to get a visual on which rock he was in. You can buy a trap & go that route if you can't find where it is then hopefully you can trap it.

I made my own bottle trap I'm going to see how that goes is there any possibility that my skunk cleaner shrimp is licking or my dwarf blue legged crabs

Yeah you could hear the clicking over my tv in my room and I have it pretty loud due to having a filter on my 55g and an air pump running

I'd be willing to bet it's just a rock boring crab. Much more common than mantis shrimp in rock from Fiji/Indo areas.

I have no idea what kind of rock I have I set a trap but nothing has shown at all

Yes. They can be pretty loud. You can hear them from across the room. I wouldn't even worry about catching it to be honest. If you aren't seeing things being killed, it's just another cool sea creature in your tank.
It will get large enough to see plainly down the road.

Ok that's good do they come out often and what should I look for in my tank or on my rock

I kept hearing loud clicking noises from my tank for about a month or so swore I had a mantis shrimp till I moved my heater from my dt down to my sump wasn't till then I noticed the heater clicked loudly every time it turned on and off. New heater no clicking. Have noticed it faintly in another tank with same kind of heater

the clicking of the heater is prob the 2 elements "smacking" together as they cool, this is what triggers the heater to trun on

I need to get a new heater mines broke in order for me to get it to work I have to bend the cord at the top so I know it's not my heater

Yeah ik but I don't have any money to buy a new one so i only heat it when it really a needs to be

Yeah it does really bad I'm 16 and I'm obsessed with fish people at school come to me and ask for advice on fish

I agree with X, I doubt it's a mantis. Some power heads tend to click when they cycle. Or it's a crab. If you aren't mysteriously loosing livestock, it isn't a shrimp. And if it is a mantis, they are cool enough and costly enough to have its own small tank.

Back
Top Bottom