Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Close to death?

I'm sorry I have been posting so much about my puffer but I would rather ask "stupid questions" and know then to not worry about it. He until the past few days has been really active and all over the tank but recently he has been doing the "sleep"thing" where he loses his color(looks dead) and sits under a rock more and more often. If i put a net in the tank anywhere near him he comes to life and swims around for a bit but then returns to "sleep" mode. The only thing that has changed is that I have gone from daily feeding to feeding every third day. Please help, I really don't want him to infect any of his tank mates who all look really healthy.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That does sound strange, mine only does the dead thing when the lights go out. Never seen him do that during the day. I am not one to encourage more feeding but I do every other day. I think if it was every third day he would go to town on my corals! Perhaps you could increase feeding but increase pwc too?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've heard that puffers can get bored with their surroundings and and it helps to move things around and change the scenery from time to time
Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

My puffer used to be more active when young. Now that he is bigger, he usually lays in one area of the tank all day long. He might surf the glass for snails. I throw in a crayfish every once in a while and his activity level does increase. This is normal for the puffer to sit and try to blend into the surrounding. When my puff go into hunting mode, then his true hunting strips (very colorful) brightens up the whole tank.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

lost him this morning as well as my kole tang due to high salinity.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumperAlex View Post
lost him this morning as well as my kole tang due to high salinity.
Sorry to hear that man,
Old 02-15-2013, 01:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
My puffer used to be more active when young. Now that he is bigger, he usually lays in one area of the tank all day long. He might surf the glass for snails. I throw in a crayfish every once in a while and his activity level does increase. This is normal for the puffer to sit and try to blend into the surrounding. When my puff go into hunting mode, then his true hunting strips (very colorful) brightens up the whole tank.
I wonder if I should put
Some love feeder shrimp in for my puffer? And maybe my sweetlips
Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is that Sweetlips eating yet? Have heard that they are extremely difficult (expert-only) and that getting them to eat is tough.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Is that Sweetlips eating yet? Have heard that they are extremely difficult (expert-only) and that getting them to eat is tough.
He's eating good. He started picking of the bottom of the tank about an hours after I put him in there. I was really excited about it, especially with all the stuff I have read about getting them to eat. I'm happy. He is a great fish. Adds a lot of movement to the tank. I also added a large conch which is pretty cool. Bit the sweetlips was an amazing valentines day gift from my wife.

Tags
death, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com