Clouded Water/Adding Carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duddi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here is what happened. I have a power filter with two filter cartridiges. I decided to take them out since I had heard that they can become nitrate factories. Well when I turned the filter back on of course it clouded up my water with a bunch of gunk (should have cleaned the unit first, I know now). Anyway I loaded the filter with live rock rubble and using it for water flow.

Anyway I thought my tank would clear up after a while but it hasn't. Any ideas about adding carbon and the process of doing so? Never done it before since I had the carbon in the cartridges.

Is it just funk moving around or actually color of the water? The carbon will make the water look clear, but will only trap the gunk.

The gunk went to the bottom and I scooped most of it up. The water is what is cloudy(nothing floating around in the water).

Are you cycling your tank? If so, it could be a diatom bloom. Can you get a pic?

The gunk went to the bottom and I scooped most of it up. The water is what is cloudy(nothing floating around in the water).

Can you tell us more about your tank? If you update "my info" with your tank size/equipment/critters, we will be able to help a lot easier.

No I'm not cycling, my tank was perfectly clear before I removed the cartriges from the filter. My parameters are also good. I guess I shouldn't say gunk, my water looks more whitish than anything. Just wondering if I should add carbon to clear up and how to do it.

I would just buy the cartridge and run it for a week to see if it clears up. What kind of substrate do you have?

I have a 55 gallon tank
I have live sand(40lbs).
I just got home with my new 10lb (35 total lbs) live rock and added it to the tank.
I took the rubble out of the filter and replaced the cartridges. I think this should fix the problem.
I'm not sure how to update my info?

I'm not sure how to update my info? said:
I'm not sure how to update my info?
It's on the home page under:
Update your Profile

Back
Top Bottom