Cloudy Brown Water/Live Sand/decorations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been really having a bad problem the last couple of days with brown cloudy water that smells. I just recently started a 29 gallon about a week and a half ago. So far I have 4 damsels and 3 hermit crabs. The water was absolutely fine until a couple of days ago. I currently have the marineland setup with a skimmer. I fed the fish some mysid shrimp and the water got cloudy and never returned to normal. I just did a 25% water change today and it did not really make a difference. Am I doing something wrong or what can I do to fix the problem. Thanks

Thanks for the input. I know that it would probably be better to start off that way, but wouldnt that disrupt the cycling. As of right now I have high ammonia levels, low nitrite levels, no nitrates, 8.2 Ph, and a temp of 78. In another question all together, how long does it usually take to have the ammonia down to zero and the nitrites kickin in. My ammonia levels have been high for like a week now.

i would take the damels and hermits back to lfs and try a fishless cycle

I agree, the may/may not make it through the cycle. The hermits have even more less of a chance of survival.

In another question all together, how long does it usually take to have the ammonia down to zero and the nitrites kickin in.

Cycling a tank usually takes about 4-6 weeks, mine was done in a little over 5 weeks.

As for the brown algae problem, I went to a lfs and talked to one of the workers their. He had mentioned that this is caused by leaving the lights on too long. I currently run the lights about 12 hours a day, didnt realize that this was way to long for a new saltwater tank. So bsically now im just gonna run the lights for about six hours a day and I added some extra carbon to the filter. Is this a good idea?

I don't really think carbon will clear the algea. Just reduce lighting, is it near a source of natural sunlight, like a window? If so, you might want to shade the window. I run my lights 10 hours a day.

How much LR and do you have a skimmer. I agree with the others that you must cycle your tank first. Your LFS let you down by not telling you this. You are putting your fish and inverts through smelly sewer conditions by having them in there. It sounds like the info you gave that your tank is trying to cycle.

Back
Top Bottom