Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Well i didnt actually make it home as i was called to a urgent meeting in another city, So im now at a hotel. I get back on saterday so will update you will the water status then. But i will keep doign the PWC's. How often do you think? once a week? im currently doing a bucket full every week.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

One big one to start off. 40-50% and then weekly 10-20% PWC`s after that.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I absolutely agree with Innovator (James). I would suggest doing large PWCs (30-50%) at the minimum once a week and twice is even better. You have to get rid of that ammonia and drop those nitrates.

The tangs should go back to the award winning LFS, along with the mandarin. I have a feeling that cycling was not completed before they sold you all that live stock.

Even if your fish are small they still require the amount of space recommended for adults. Tangs should be in 100+g tanks (with a few exceptions). The Mandarin feeds almost exclusively on live copepods and with out them they will starve to death. This is a difficult fish for even the most seasoned SW person. Do some research on the fish that you have in your system and I think you will be surprised at what you find.

Bottom line get those PWCs cranking to get your ammonia and nitrate levels down.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

What size tank is this? I must have missed that. Ok I see. 125 liters. What is that about 35 gallons. You are way overstocked. I totally missed that. With those fish in that size tank you will never get ahold of your water parameters. The tangs need to go back . Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

125L tank (30ishg)
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sorry what does LFS stand for ive managed to keep up with most of them (PWC's ect )

The tank was cycled they werent all added at once, It stared off with 2 cleaner shrimp & snails & hermits for 2 weeks, then 4 fish were added. and left for 1 month then ive slowly been adding more fish / inverts since then.

The Mandarin has been tank bread and taught / brought up on frozen food, so he is feeding very heathaly on frozen mysis and brine shrimp which is good news, i made sure of this before i bought him.

But i also have another small tank for hatching & raising brine shrimp, and i am feeding him live food 2 times a week and they are loving it

Im not planning on keeping the fish untill full adulthood im planning on letting them grow untill 'teens' then selling them on, and then buying more (same types just babies, so there tiny again) that was my plan for the overstocking (when adults) i know this maybe a bit immoral to some people, and dont hate me for saying it.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:45 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Right ive just got home and done another PWC. i waited a hour or so and have re done the tests and they are as follows:

HR PH - 7.8 (Im going to add some buffer)
Phosphate - 0.5
Nitrite - 0 / 0.25 (lower end i would say)
Ammonia 0 / 0.25 (about mid way)
Nitrate 80

I dont know why the nitrate is not coming down, im doing loads of PWCs and using addins to drop the nitrate (Seachem DeNitrate Nitrate Remover & AmQuel plus - 473ml [196065] - £16.99 : Aqua Essentials) so i dont know whats wrong.

Oh and the BoxFish's cloudy eye has gone hurray

Sorry if your all getting very fustrated with me
Old 02-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
First I would really stop adding chemicals to your Tank. Right now with as many fish you have in your system they will not reach teen hood. Your fish will be stressed from all the Ammonia and Nitrates. As Melosu mention you will have a hard time getting a hold of your Water Parameters. The more Livestock you have the more fish waste is being generated each day, that is the cause for concern with overstocking... I have 55G and the max I am able to put are 6 right now I have 4 and they are very happy and Healthy I might add. I would suggest taking some back if you want anything to grow in your tank... Just My Opinion. Oh and if not answered already LFS means (Local Fish Store).

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxfish, cloud, cloudy, cloudy eye, eye, ilness, water testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com