Cloudy Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arehe001

Aquarium Advice Newbie
well i set my 55gal tank up and filled it with water it was clear untill i added the salt it has like a white haze x4 days is this normal i've allways had fresh water tanks when you first fill them they're cloudy but clear up in a few hours.

I have a whisper 60 gal filter and all the material is new
is there a clearing chemical?
all my water tests were good but the PH was borderline and the salt content is a lil high :oops:

thanks for all your help

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com

Could be a combination of the salt (sand if recently added) as well as the low GPH in the tank. The whisper 60 is only 270 GPH rating when empty. Once it has media, the flow will be reduced a fair amount. Do you have additional PH in the tank as well?

Good water rotation starts at 6x rotation per hour and that is considered on the low side. Ideally you will have to determine the total GPH based on the type of tank you will end up having but for the most part you should try bringing that up to 400+ GPH.

The low ph could again be from the salt but low GPH and possibley having the tank covered would affect it as well.

Any additional info you could provide about the set up would help.

Cheers
Steve

there will be an additional filter added this week end another 60gal filter so hopefully that should do for now. the tank is covered with the hood that came with the tank. its plastic with plunty of venliation. GPH?? i dont know what that is i know what PH is. and if your asking your self why i putting another 60gal on its because my 120gal tank was just set up this weekend and i have two canister filters but one stopped working so my buddy gave me his but i'm getting a new canister filter so that will go there lol, :) :p FREE :vader:

arehe001 said:
the tank is covered with the hood that came with the tank. its plastic with plunty of venliation.
If it's covered with a sheet of plastic/acrylic, how is it well ventilated? Most of these types of covers prevent proper aeration in the tank's water.

If you "hover" the mouse over the highlited red text area's in a post, it will tell what the terms used mean. GPH stands for "gallons per hour" or the amount of water a pump, powerhead or filter can move water. It also refers to the total amount of water rotation in the tank.

If you where to be asked the GPH of the tank, it would be the combined power of all the water movement apparatus in/on the tank.

How is the tank set up other than the one HOB?

Cheers
Steve

Sorry when i put my mouse over the highlited area i just got a ? guess i didnt leave it there long enough lol. as far as the lid its a hood that is 2" higher than the tank and is punched out in the back for ventliation trust me ventilation isn't the problom. what do you mean by the tank set up other than HOB there will be two of them and some power jets other than that what do i need?

Thanks
Tony

arehe001 said:
what do you mean by the tank set up other than HOB there will be two of them and some power jets other than that what do i need?

I meant what other water moving equipment would there be beside the HOB, I missed the bit about the second one. Just make sure there is ample surface water movement and they are spaced far enough apart to allow the whole tank to get circulated properly. I think after being in operation for a bit of time an additional PH may be needed. HOB 's have a habit of slowing down quite quickly as detritus accumulates but that is something you can determine later.

The carbon will help as two11devan has suggested but I think the Whisper model already takes care of that. It should actually clear soon enough on it's own.

Cheers
Steve

When i got home the tank is still cloudy, and your right about the whisper haveing carbon. It just seems its kinda milkey could that be an alage bloom?? do they make a chemical to clear.

It will not be an algae bloom in such a new tank. If you used LS it could be bacterial die off. Is there anything else in the tank?

Cheers
Steve

no sand just gravel made for salt water tanks, a coral bloom, and some regular aquriam assories bought fromm the pet store.

What about any clearing chemicals??

T&hanks again for all your help

I don't know of any chemicals that help to clear out the water that way. I also would not recommend trying to "treat" the tank until we know for sure what it is that is causing the cloudyness.

Could you give us some water parameters? It could help us trouble shoot...

Temperature:
SG:
Alk:
ph:
CA:

arehe001 said:
no sand just gravel made for salt water tanks,
If the CC was unrinsed (which is fine) then the tank will clear in time as bacteria colonizes the surface area. I would still give it time. How is the salinity and ph since your first post?

a coral bloom, and some regular aquriam assories bought fromm the pet store.
Coral bloom?
What accesssories?

What about any clearing chemicals??
None that I would ever recommend. I think waiting at this point is the best course of action.

Has the tank started to cycle yet?

Cheers
Steve

Tony,

This sounds like your first venture with a marine aquarium and that you are just setting up your system, My advice to you is STOP! READ! - this and other forums. CHeck out the posted articles, ask your questions and wait for the replies.

Please do not be in a rush to start adding livestock to your new tank. I too had a FW tank for many years before venturing into SW. Nothing good happens quickly in a SW tank. It takes a lot of time and patience.

Are you planning on a FO, FOwLR or reef tank?

after i put more filtration on the tank everything is starting to look good its clearing up :) the coral bloom i was refering to is what the LFS called its just a big pice of white coral

Again Thanks for all your help

Tony

Back
Top Bottom